• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Web Push Arrives In Firefox

Gyakutsuki

A new approach could be developped on shopping cart and Mozilla can help for that.

It'spossible to inform a consumer a new product,  a request ...

more information there.

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2016/01/web-push-arrives-in-firefox-44/

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

looks interesting maybe even more at the admin side, where we can decode our selves what browser we use and support

had a quick look at the php library, and it talks about GCM no clue what it stands for, but i'm learning about CGM any spare moment i can find, they are on github too :) http://hackingdiabetes.org/tag/github/

it is kinda amazing what is possible with technology and the cloud infrastructure and how things seem to accelerate.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

I can imagine a customer getting notifications like:

we despatched your order at 10am, tracking number XYZ

or

thanks for contacting us, here's the info you wanted.. "abc 123"

and so on

Pretty cool.

Yes so many possibilites can be make. Now just to make a contrib

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

And a new generation of developers makes the same mistakes that the previous generation made. Or maybe this will actually work this time. I'm betting no.

Microsoft tried this about twenty years ago, back when Internet Explorer was (nearly) the only browser. I actually tried it -- for about an hour. It was a disaster. You couldn't even read a web page without being interrupted wit a new push message every few minutes. You would need a way to stop the push messages from taking over control, and then what good are they? I don't see a way to make this work.

And I can only imagine the spam. Pushed randomly to every IP address in the world, and no way to block it. Now there's a business opportunity -- build the first spam filter for a web browser. I should probably start working on this.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

And I can only imagine the spam. Pushed randomly to every IP address in the world, and no way to block it.

Never say never, but how is this going to be spammed? Worst case, you tell the central push server to unsubscribe from that source. You have to explicitly request push service from a given source, and can turn it off at any time. Or so it claims. I suppose that if the actual subscription is handled from a web page (rather than requested through the browser), a malicious page could subscribe you to (at least) that feed without your consent, but you should still be able to unsubscribe. I would hope that the browser is in the middle of any push subscription event, so it has to be explicitly OK'd by the user and can't be done silently.

Of course, someone will attempt to exploit this new service to do nasty things. I just hope they've thought it through and have plugged any obvious security holes. For example (if I read the announcement correctly), there is apparently some privileged Javascript involved, supplied by the website, to handle the incoming push. Let's hope they've gone over that with a fine-toothed comb!

looks interesting maybe even more at the admin side, where we can decode our selves what browser we use and support

So far, availability sounds like only Firefox, with Chrome close behind and Edge "maybe". Presumably users on non-supporting browsers simply won't be able to use this service. I don't know what impact that will have on web page design (whether you will need to exclude certain sign-up content based on browser version). I'd hate to get back to the bad old days of "this page runs best on Internet Explorer 6 or higher". Hopefully there will be a capability-based test rather than checking browser name and version.

@@MrPhil  ".... privileged JavaScript ... supplied by the website ...." That's a recipe for disaster right there. I see no way that the browser will be able to protect against malicious use, other than running Noscript or never allowing this push service to run in the first place.

Yes, I'm being paranoid, and this may not happen. I'm still not going to take any bets on it.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

I also really like the idea of having it plugged in only for the shopowner.  

An order comes in, a push goes out to you.

A contact_us comes in, a push goes out to you.

Stock of your "blue widget" falls to (say) 5, a push goes out to you to remind you to order more from your supplier.

And so on.

That wold be super cool.

• 4 months later...

Let me introduce Xtremepush, an omni channel analytics and engagement platform that provides Web Push as part of our integrated solution or as a stand alone feature. As the platform provides full automation and segmentation you can engage with your website visitors based on what pages or products they have viewed and at key times in the user journey. We can deliver off site notifications, on site notifications, triggered notifications and we also have an onsite message centre.

We have worked really hard to make set up and campaign management really easy for users and have enabled segmentation & targeting via Google Analytics and deployment can be done using Google Tag Manager.

Archived