• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

rename index page

dhooper

I would like to rename the index.php file to store.php because I want my store in the same directory as my wordpress blog.  I have discovered that I really like the easy security features of wordpress but it will only check files in the same directory and sub-directories, but not directories above it. I seem to be having trouble with the change though...

First, I copied the index.php file and named it store.php  Then,I used Dreamweaver to search for "index.php" in all of the files and change the references that pertain to my store to "store.php" (there were links to outside sites that I did not change).  Then, I did a search in the database and found a few entries for index.php that I changed.  Yet, I am still having trouble in that my product and category pages are giving 404 errors. 

If no one has an idea on what I'm missing, then I'll just put the store in a sub-directory.  I just wanted to avoid adding redirects since the store has more pages than my blog did.

Thanks.

Diana

You're mixing two applications (Wordpress and osCommerce) in the same directory? Oh, please don't! You're just asking for trouble down the road. If nothing else, trying up update osC will be a nightmare because you've changed file names.

What sort of "security" features does WP give you that you're trying to use? I seem to recall that there is an security add-on or something for osC that checks file names, etc. I don't know if it works for 2.3.4 or 2.3.4BS (you should be using one of those two). With putting the admin directory under password protection, and perhaps changing its name, that's enough security for most. Are you trying to prevent someone from altering your files without your knowing it, or is it to stop hackers from running certain code, or something else? An increasing number of people are putting their entire store under SSL to reduce the chance of someone snooping on sensitive information.

By the way, it's best to have all applications on your site in their own subdirectories. The reason is that if you run osC in a subdirectory under Wordpress, it will go through Wordpress's .htaccess (in the root) first, which can really mess up osC's URIs. If your blog is already firmly established in the root (rather than /blog), it may be too late to do that. Depending on what WP's root .htaccess is doing for SEO, etc., you may have to alter it to leave osC-targeted URIs alone, or alter the osC .htaccess to undo what's been done by WP's. It's also best to keep applications (like WP) out of the root, so that they're neatly isolated and can be updated and even removed without leaving the rest of your site crippled.

You have a good point about updating and such.  That's actually why I was changing osc instead of WP (so much easier for me to alter), but... you're right.  It is a total mess. 

As far as security, I have changed the admin directory, have the site monitor addon, and Security Pro.  Plus, using CloudFlare.  Yet, I'm still having issues with bots and hackers.  I was having the same problem with my wordpress in my blog directory until I added wordfence (I used a different security before and was still having trouble) and now the blog, at least, has been being left alone.  So, now that I have a viable solution, I want it to cover my store too.  :) 

Obviously, it's just a bigger problem changing my setup than I thought it would be, so I should probably just leave well enough alone.

Thank you!

Diana

If the basic problem is plugging security holes in WP, I'm not sure that any of that will apply to another application, such as osC. I would suggest just keeping them completely separate. It's even possible that mixing in osC with WP would break WP's security measures. On the other hand, if these measures are intended to stop hackers from breaking into your site (rather than problems in the WP code itself), the same ones could be applied to osC without mixing the two applications together.

Archived