• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading???? Is there an easy way to do this

Kristofor

hi everyone,

is there an easy way to upgrade. I have a january 20 snapshot running, and before we open live im thinking i should upgrade to ms1 or to the latest snapshot. Is there an easy way to do this, can i just copy the files or something. Last time i did an upgrade i had to delete all the files and then run the upgrade. it doubled all the fields in the database.

Is there a way i can just upgrade and not lose my stuff, not let the table double up, and not lose many of my installed contributions.

What do u think i should do.

thanks

kristofor

Don't die with the music in you!!!

Failure is just another boundary to sucess!!! But that doesn't mean your getting somewhere...

I recommend you start with a fresh install of OSC in a separate directory.

Clear out these existing tables using phpmyadmin on the new database:

address_book

address_format

categories_* (all categories tables)

customers_* (all customers tables)

orders_* (all orders tables)

products_*(all products tables)

specials

To save you a headache, as the database tables structure will be different, i recommend you compare the old database structure to the new one, and make adjustments in your new database for the upcoming import.

Once you've verified structures match, export the tables above from your current database, COMPLETE INSERTS, and save to a file. Then, run the SQL file to the new database.

This will copy over all your existing client, address books, products, categories, and keep them all in the same neat little place as they were before, that way the search engines won't see a change in the product ID's.

This took me a lot of work to export it, compare, etc, but it was well worth it to be prepared first.

Good luck !

YIKES!! what a PITA!

I'm running a snapshot from 4/5 and was wondering how much different a snapshot from today would be and how hard an upgrade would be. would I still have to do the above?

You can do anything you like... ;)

You technically dont have to do this...but if you want to transfer all your customers and keep your products with the same product ID..., then yes.

there cant be that much of a difference in table structure can there be???

Don't die with the music in you!!!

Failure is just another boundary to sucess!!! But that doesn't mean your getting somewhere...

No, there is not that big of a difference. In fact, i recently upgraded from a November 2002 to an MS1 Snapshot, and there were only 4 differences in my table structures. I made the adjustments,...and exported the database over to the new one with no problems.

Archived