• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Calculate shipping based on distance?

I have spend quite some time on correcting customer adresses so they match with how google wants streetname spelled

so i wonder if there has been made a module that can calculate the shipping based on shortest distance google can find?

If you ship large things by, say, motor freight; I could see charging by distance. For large scales, this would probably be a zoned charge centered around the point of origin, rather than $/mile or  whatever. In that case, by state (or like) might be enough resolution, else you'd have to map zip/postal code to a zone.

There is no existing module that works by those parameters.    

I assume this is for some sort of shop that sells only to "local" destinations (eg a pizza shop) ? 

yep for a pizza store...

what i had in mind was to say shipping for 0-10 km is XX money

11-21 its YY money... 

i could just set up another delivery and have the user pick... but some are not as honest, and its a pain to figure out... 

a value for each km driven would be much more simple

If you ship large things by, say, motor freight; I could see charging by distance. For large scales, this would probably be a zoned charge centered around the point of origin, rather than $/mile or  whatever. In that case, by state (or like) might be enough resolution, else you'd have to map zip/postal code to a zone.

i have thought of using the postcode....

but then again some of the postal numbers here covers larger area's.. the postal zone just to the south of the store covers a greater area compared to the postal zone the shop is in

yep for a pizza store...

what i had in mind was to say shipping for 0-10 km is XX money

11-21 its YY money... 

i could just set up another delivery and have the user pick... but some are not as honest, and its a pain to figure out... 

a value for each km driven would be much more simple

Calculation of distance from Pizza Shop (fixed location) to Destination (changing location).  

Then charge for each KM "ZZ" (or in a banded calculation, "10:XX, 20:YY" as you have shown).

I do not see any reason why it could not be achieved, subject to necessary "coding" experience or necessary "wallet opening". 

No doubt that now you have expressed an interest (in having something coded), you will receive PM messages (if you receive any PM messages from anyone who is not a Green (Sponsor), Orange (Partner) or Blue (Admin) - please report them as it is time to get rid of these tricksy "developers").  

Best is post at the Commercial Tickets area:  http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/tracker/project-6-commercial-support-enquiries/

interest..... maybe

interest in knowing how much i would have to open the wallet so that i can decide if i have interest getting the job done.... a bit more than a maybe

Archived