• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

I have no idea what I'm Doing!

I got the OSCommerce loaded, got all the installation deletions and read only security stuff done, and entered a product and picture in the admin screen. But all I can see is the admin page, with graphs, and when I hit online store, it takes me to the home page of my website, not the shopping stuff. How do I link my site to the shopping page, or have my buy now button link to it, or whatever. I have no idea what I'm doing...

@@knightschade

By default, osCommerce installs in the /catalog/ directory off of your root directory. So, unless you have something (like your .htaccess file) redirecting to the /catalog/ directory, what you are saying is the correct behavior.

So, when you enter http://www.<DomainName>.com,you should end up at the home page of your website.

Instead, enter: http://www.<DomainName>.com/catalog

HTH

Malcolm

I must have set smething up wrong. Where would I change that in the Admin panel? or do I change it somewhere else?

Folder locations are found under install_dir/includes/configure.php where install_dir is the folder where you installed oscommerce.

At first you'll need to find where the files are installled and then move them to the folder you want, changing the paths on configure.php. There's also another configure.php under install_dir/admin_dir/includes/configure.php

There are two files that define where the store is:

For the store side, look at ...  /catalog/included/configure.php

For the admin side, look at ...  /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php

Malcolm

I would suggest that you leave the store in /catalog/, and use URL rewriting to jump a visitor from your site root to the store. That way, you are free to install other applications (in their own subdirectories) without them stepping on each other's toes, and the root directory (and especially, the /.htaccess) stays clean. When you install other applications, you remove the URL rewrite and install some sort of welcome page with links to the applications.

Archived