• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Some general feedback

markem

This is just a couple of observations and I will add more to it as I go along making changes.

The first suggestion/feedback is that in both the standard and admin configure.php file I'd like to suggestion that two defines be made at the top of the files.  These are:

define( BASE_PATH, "<Main or top directory pathway>" );

define( BASE_URL, "<Main or top HTTP pathway" );

Why?  Because there are several places in the rest of the file that the same base path or url are used.  This means that there are multiple locations where something can be mistyped.  By changing these other defines to be either

BASE_PATH . "/<whatever"

or

BASE_URL . "/<whatever>"

It makes it a lot easier to not only NOT make mistakes typing but it also would change all of the different locations at one time.  Example:

BASE_URL . "/catalog"

Ok - so why again?  A good example of why is that you develop your osCommerce website on your laptop.  So you BASE_URL would be "localhost".  But then you want to move it to "HTTP://XYZ.COM". Instead of having to chase down each and every location - you just change BASE_URL to be "HTTP://XYZ.COM" and suddenly all of the locations in osCommerce use the new location.  The same is for pathways.

That's it! :-)

Archived