9 replies to this topic

#1   Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald Ponce de Leon

Healthy Giraffe

• Core Team
  • 5,346 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:21

Hi All..

Here is a pre-announcement of a roadmap that will lead to a production ready release of osCommerce Online Merchant v2.4.0.

v2.4.0 starts off a new release series that existing users can upgrade to. v2.4.0 contains no database schema changes to allow for an easier upgrade routine. It does however contain a much more modern codebase than v2.3 - any code customizations and add-on installations will be incompatible and will need to be adapted to the new codebase.

The minimum PHP version requirement has been set to v5.5. Although the v2.4.0 codebase is still based on v2.3 and could work on an earlier PHP version (eg, PHP v5.3), it is important to note that PHP v5.4 is no longer actively supported since 14th Sept. 2014 and will only receive security fixes until 14th Sept. 2015.

http://php.net/supported-versions.php

Setting the minimum PHP version requirement to v5.5 allows developers optimize their add-ons for v2.4.x and later release series (eg, v2.5.x).

The current development release of v2.4.0 still contains v2.3 legacy code we would like to replace for the new release series. To help developers create new add-ons for and migrate their existing v2.3 add-ons to the new release series, the following roadmap has been defined to keep the community up to date.

This is a roadmap of beta releases to:

1) release as soon as possible

2) not delay releases with huge amounts of core code changes

3) help and guide developers who need to prepare their add-ons for v2.4.0

Beta releases are for testing and development purposes only. No upgrade path will be provided for the first beta release nor for in-between beta releases. API incompatibility changes will occur between beta releases and will be documented. The roadmap will adapt during the development of the releases.

########

Beta 1

Shop

- Bootstrap

- PDO Database class

- HTML class for input fields

Setup

- Bootstrap

- Use classes from Shop

Beta 2

Shop

- Move language definitions to ini style

- Migrate legacy classes to new namespace classes:

-- Breadcrumb

-- Currencies

-- Language

-- Message Stack

-- Navigation History

-- Shopping Cart

- SEO

Admin

- Database Schema comparison tool

Setup

- Move language definitions to ini style

Beta 3

Shop

- Migrate remaining classes and functions to new namespace classes

- Add hook calls

Beta 4

Admin

- Bootstrap

- Adapt core namespace

Beta 5

Admin

- Use classes from Shop

Setup

- Provide a list of available language packs to download

########

The goal of the minimum PHP v5.5 requirement and with v2.4.0 is not to create a new object-oriented fanboy ready codebase (this is what v3.0 is for), but to create an even more modular and modern codebase that not only add-ons can easily plug into, but to also allow us to release new core features that existing store owners can easily upgrade to and use.

Development and progress can be followed at Github:

https://github.com/o...ce/oscommerce2/

Thanks to the work of Gary and the community, v2.4.0 beta 1 will be available this month with the new responsive template design based on Bootstrap.

:heart: , osCommerce

#2   Kolingua

Kolingua
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:36

I'm now thinking that upgrade routines and testing of new versions would become easier if store-specific folders that are typically changed during store operation (in other words, the directories in the sec_directory_whitelist table) were all moved to a single folder (e.g. catalog/local) which users would not replace on updates, but only on fresh installs. What do you think?

Edited by Kolingua, 22 April 2015 - 12:38.

#3   burt

burt

I drink and I know things

• Community Team
  • 12,438 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:19

All.  This is not a thread for bug reports.

Thank You.

@Gyakutsuki thank you for also making the bugs in the bug reporter.

Edited by burt, 23 April 2015 - 08:59.

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  It is not specifically aimed at you.

IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

If you are still on the old style osCommerce, it is time to move to Responsive.

#4   Kolingua

Kolingua
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 15:54

All.  This is not a thread for bug reports.

Thank You.

@Gyakutsuki thank you for also making the bugs in the bug reporter.

If you answering to my post, maybe you're right that I'm posting it in the wrong place, and if so I'm sorry, but it's not a bug report. It's just an idea, and I thought that it made some sense to post it in this thread which is about a roadmap with several beta releases that need testing, as my idea was about making upgrades and testing of different versions on live shops a little easier (maybe it's not really a good idea either, that's why I asked people about it).

Edited by Kolingua, 23 April 2015 - 15:55.

#5   burt

burt

I drink and I know things

• Community Team
  • 12,438 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 16:07

My post was not in reply to you @Kolingua
Discussion is good here.

Bug reports are not -> it got removed @Gyakutsuki

This is a signature that appears on all my posts.  It is not specifically aimed at you.

IF YOU MAKE A POST REQUESTING HELP...please state the exact version of osCommerce that you are using. THANKS

If you are still on the old style osCommerce, it is time to move to Responsive.

#6   Gyakutsuki

Gyakutsuki
  • Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 16:14

I just push the bug there because there is no 2.4 bug report created.

Thank @burt to removemy post and update the bug report.

Regards

-----------------------------------------

Loïc

Contact me by skype for business

Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

#7 ONLINE   piernas

piernas
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 April 2015 - 19:37

Sounds like great news @Harald Ponce de Leon ! It's time for us to study how the new code will work.

As classes will be re-worked soon, I have a couple of suggestions for you to consider:

SEO:

• Ability to hook transform functions that replaces stock tep_image function, i.e. for a thumbnailer app.
  • No hardcoded image sizes on pages but taken from config in database.

ORDERS CLASS AND DATABASE: Some of them discussed here: http://forums.oscomm...1-orders-class/. These are mostly field additions to the tables to give more information about orders after they are placed:

• Identification of the language used when an order is placed. Needed if you want to automate email communicaton with customers and you want to use their language instead of the admin language.
  • Gender field on customer info could also help with that so emails won't be "Dear Mr./Mrs. ..." anymore.
  • Implementing in an easy way to identify shipping and payment modules used for each order placed, independently of the language and based on the class of the module used.
  • Adding a tax rate field to the shipping cost of each order (it is currently not stored once the order is placed), so you can later retrieve, evaluate or export taxes applied for shipping. And same for the rest of order totals.

ADMIN SIDE:

• I've seen your recent work on orders.php from Paypal app. It's great to have the ability to add content  to the tabs; It would be also very useful to extend the hook system to also cover the buttons on order editing page, so custom functions (pdf invoice, automated emails...) can be added as modules to the order editing without touching the code.
  • It would also be useful if a stock button or tab could be disabled by a module.

CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS:

• IMO it should not be possible to change customer's account name once it is created. Currently you can accidentally change the identity of the customer if you select a different "default address".
  • I see redundant to have three addresses on each order (customer, shipping and billing) when you just need two. It increases the orders table size about 20-25% and the third address is useless IMO (I understand customer address should be the same as billing address).
  • Way to differentiate if the customer is a business or an individual.
  • Generic database field for tax numbers id.

#8   katapofatico

katapofatico
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:07

[...]

v2.4.0 beta 1 will be available this month with the new responsive template design based on Bootstrap.

Thanks for the good news @Harald Ponce de Leon !

I'm developing a shop based on osc 2.3.4. It's not in production therefore I can "play" with it. I wish to change so soon as possible to 2.4, even if it means to be updating files throughout the roadmap: beacuse my priority is to learn and develop with new coding standarts: Bootstrap and PHP modularizations. 

Can I start adopting the code on oscommerce2 master branch? I suppose that 2.4.0 beat 1 will be based based on it, it's not it? ... yes I'm feeling anxious to change!  :)

Thanks for all!

#9   katapofatico

katapofatico
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 13:05

Hello @Harald Ponce de Leon, @burt and everybody.

I'm building a store (I am developer). I think that I wil be with it minimum 6 months (I have to implement a lot of addons a feature tunnings). I thought to bet on 2.4, as I said, trusting that a ready release would not be much, but reading the @burt tips, I wonder if it will be too risky, and have to settle for the 2.3.4-Bootstrap:

So, which should you, as a shopowner, do next ?

v2.3.4[r] is where all development is presently aimed.

I'm not a shopowner and I don't need a ready to publish osc... but perhaps this advice applies to me too... What do you think? Can you give any information that could help in the decision? Any advice or track?

Thanks a lot!

Edited by katapofatico, 01 May 2015 - 13:09.

#10   bruyndoncx

bruyndoncx

osCommerce Teenager

• Members
  • 3,770 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 14:18

I'm working my way through UTF-8 upgrade, and came across this nice little PDF
http://docslide.us/d...heat-sheet.html

made me wonder if 2.4 will
1) have all php files converted to UTF-8
2) implement multi byte string functions
KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON
FYI Just upgraded from PHP 5.3 to PHP 5.5  and saw big performance improvement.
But be aware php 5.5 is more strict about things.
UTF8-without BOM, no extra spaces allowed at the beginning or end of your php file, or your redirects wont work.
No double declarations of functions allowed - used to slip through the cracks ...