• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Tax calculation

adamsotr

I'm pulling my hair out with this problem! After adding many products and having added the sales tax module set up for West Virginia Sales Tax 6%,  when I got my first order (from ENGLAND),  I was horrified to find that it charged him WV sales tax,  and anybody no matter where they are,  it charges them sales tax.  Ok,  so I thought I'd remove the sales tax module completely with any tax zones and then I'd just pay the taxes for any customers who bought from my state.  WRONG.  Even though I removed the tax module completely,  it still charges sales tax on every item.  It didn't even help when I put the tax back and set it to zero tax rate!!   Finally I set the program to display prices with tax rate so I don't confuse my customers even worse.  But that's not a good fix.  And because the prices are so messed up like this,  when buy now is hit using Paypal,  the line item doesn't even show up on the paypal payment!!   I just don't know what to do.  I have a real headache trying to solve this, and I just can't solve it!  I've tried watching youtube videos to find a solution and everyone says the same thing, how to set up the tax and all that which I already did.  It just doesn't work.  Why is this program charging every one tax no matter where they live,  and why did it not remove tax from all the items after the module was removed?  Please help!!

If anybody can solve this problem for me on how to make this crazy thing stop charging taxes to every customer no matter where they are and make the line item appear where it is supposed to when the customer pays with Paypal I will really appreciate it!   I have removed the tax modules several times, it doesn't even matter.  It still has prices with tax on it.  I had to select to display prices with tax so that my customers wouldn't know they were being charged tax because I didn't know any other way around it.  It wouldn't stop charging tax no matter what I did.  When I make a new product,  I say that the item is $3.45.  It displays the price as $3.66.  If I choose to not display prices with tax,  then it will display $3.45 but will charge taxes at checkout.  I just can't win.  It's got me really crazy.  Where is it getting this info from?  Definitely not from the tax module setup.  But where?  I want it to either stop charging any taxes altogether,  or else ONLY charge sales tax to customers located in West Virginia.  Why can't I make this work?  PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME!!  Can you email me at [email protected]?  Please I really need help,  this is driving me nuts.  Thank you very much.

I can feel your pain lol.

You need to get the following questions before you can set it up.

1. how many difference tax rate you charge.

2. are you shipping internatinally? if yes, do you charge on it?

3, how many tax class your product has, are they all change same % of tax?

You also need to run some test order to find out if your shopping cart charge tax base on the billing or the shipping. I believe the default setup on OSC is on billing. if you have people who is live in Florida and ship the product to california, so the tax will be base on Florida. you may need to look into that too.

ken

Archived