• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

server connection timed out after files uploaded - 2.3.4 install not possible

Christiane N

Hello,

I am trying to set up a second oscommerce store at another domain.

After creating a database, downloading the shop's zip file, extracting and uploading it to server, I changed file permissions on both configure.php files. Then I tried to reach the installation/welcome page (blueheavenauto.com/install/; blueheavenauto.com/install/install.php) - which was not possible.

I always get the error message:

The connection has timed out
The server at blueheavenauto.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I contacted the domain host who was of the opinion that I had used the wrong server address. But in my opinion that can't be it, since I never reach the welcome page in order to provide the server data.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? What am I overlooking?

Kindest regards,

Christiane

It could be a lot of things -- temporary congestion on your server, your account access has been throttled back temporarily because of heavy activity on setting up your site, or even that your domain name has not propagated all the way yet (is it less than 24 hours since you changed its DNS entry?). The error message sounds like it's the web server itself, and not the database server, that's not responding. Do you have any SEO or other URL rewriting set up in your .htaccess file? If you're going in a loop, you should get a message specifically saying that. In any case, try renaming (disabling) /.htaccess, if you have one, to see if that's the problem.

If nothing else works, give it 24 hours to recuperate and try again. Be sure to clear your browser cache, too. Try ping blueheavenauto.com and make sure you can get through to your server.

Hi Bob & Phil,

Thank you so much for your responses.

Info: I have a Windows 7 pc, IP is AT&T with wireless connection - Netgear A6100.

I had no problem setting up a shop with my old Win XP.

By now I am more than desperate. I tried all solutions I was able to find, from your suggestion to ping, to reset firefox, to open port 53 in the firewall, to run a malware scan etc.?????

What I have not done yet is the uninstall and reinstall firefox. I tried to reach the installer with Internet explorer and failed, too.

The suggestion to disable the .htaccess file was a little irritating. There are several to be found in the package. So I disabled the one in the root folder - without effect.

I also deleted all files from the server and connected a "coming soon" page to the domain. That I was able to connect to without a problem. That means I can reach the domain, but not the installer. Bob can access the installer, so can the web space provider. I guess it's nothing wrong at the server. (Please check the attachment.)

Could the installation be done in another way? Like perhaps writing something into a file on the server? Something to force the installer to start?

I would be grateful for further suggestions.

Kindest regards,

Christiane

blueheavenauto_dns.pdf

@@Christiane N

Using Firefox 36.x.x

I just went to your root directory, and was immediately directed to /install, and was given full access to install osC on your site.

Be careful, the installer *appears* to be live, and anyone can attempt to install osC on your site (not that they will know your database name or password).

Malcolm

The suggestion to disable the .htaccess file was a little irritating. There are several to be found in the package. So I disabled the one in the root folder - without effect.

Um, I did say /.htaccess. That's the root one.

There was no need to remove files. The first thing I'd suggest is to check your directory and file permissions, to see if they somehow ended up abnormally set. You say you immediately chmod'd the configure.php files? That's supposed to wait until you've done the installation. It's possible that being unable to write to those files hung up your installation process.

If that doesn't do it, have you cleared your browser cache? That others can easily get in suggests that your browser has a cached version it's using.

Archived