• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Updating elderly OSCommerce cart - what do i keep?

nigelt74

Hi All

Firstly I haven't had much to do with OSCommerce for about 10yrs, i have been over on ZenCart which is a little different.

Have been asked to look at updateing a cart for someone, they don't believe it has been updated for several years (I don't have access to the backend yet).

I can't seem to find a guide to updating, I checked the OSCommerce Library, but it only seemed to have installing not updating info

Regarding updating

I am guessing the easiest thing is to wipe the old files off the server do a new install importing the old database?

So my questions are

1) What files/Directories should I be saving? obviously product images, but what else?

2) When I wipe all the old files, do I upload the new files and hook them up to the existing database, then run some upgrade database to make it all work?

3) How do I work out what add-ons have been added to the site?

4) STS template, this is the only add-on i can tell from the front end, and apparently it doesn't work on the current branch, so how hard is templating OSCommerce, is there an idiots guide? and are there barebones responsive templates out there to use as a starting point?

Thanks in advance

Ok

What is the latest version

3 is still alpha/beta

2.3.4 is the stable version?

whats the difference between 2.3.4BS and 2.3.4 Gold? as they both seem to have responsive doohickeys in them

2.3.4 is the stable version. I believe 2.4 will be released shortly. Did you check out github? If you are updating I personally would do it this way. Do a clean install on a test server and move the stuff over to the test server. Once you are complete than move it to the live server. Updating oscommerce can be a pain and oscommerce is going away from that in next release. The idea is one click updates are the future but not there as of yet. If they have a lot of mods that maybe a problem to be aware of. I would go with 2.3.4BS and download from github.

2.3.4 Gold is the stable, official release. 2.3.4BS is a community-supported responsive (Bootstrap) version built on top of 2.3.4. 2.4 is planned to be based on 2.3.4BS. 3.x is a long way off -- ignore it for now.

Q1: Obviously, save everything until you are happy with your new 2.3.4 or 2.3.4BS. You will need information from a couple of configure.php files, so don't toss them too quickly. Depending on what sort of customization or add-ons have been done, you might need other stuff. If there are downloadable purchases, those files have to come over too.

Q2: Basically, yes. Database upgrades are one step at a time (2.2MS2 to 2.2RC1, 2.2RC1 to 2.2RC2, etc.). And of course, the product image files have to be copied over.

Q3: That's difficult. If no good records were kept, and zip files etc. weren't kept around, there's no easy way to tell what has been done. You may end up installing 2.3.4[bS] and comparing the look and feel to the old store, to see if anything seems to be missing.

Q4: 2.3.4BS would be a bare bones responsive "template". Actually, try to avoid anything calling itself a template, as usually they modify a bunch of files and make difficult for maintainers. If you don't want responsive, start with 2.3.4 Gold. If you do, start with 2.3.4BS (I think you have to install Gold first). Then modify colors, etc. via manual CSS file editing and/or ThemeRoller.

All in all, play with it a bit by installing a test version of 2.3.4[bS] and see what you seem to be missing, and find out whether there's an add-on for missing function, or you can tweak the CSS for appearance, or whether you're going to need custom code.

Cheers

Well I believe this is the version that is currently installed (according to the application_top.php file)

// define the project version

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2');

Yeah, 2.2RC2 is pretty ancient. There are upgrade paths within 2.2 (up to RC2a) and within 2.3, but no viable 2.2-to-2.3 upgrade. Well, there is sort of one, but it leaves you with an impossible to maintain "Frankenstore" hybrid. Avoid it. You'll just have to install 2.3.4[bS], import and upgrade your database and copy the product images, and start over with add-ons and customization. If the current store is still more or less running, do all of this in a test store so you don't break it.

I have done zencart upgrades which are pretty much the same,

My only real concern is the database, I have had a big read of other posts and I am not 100% on that part

Obviously on a test server for the below

My assumption is as noted upload 2.3.4bs, hook it up to the old database,

now does the install script come up with an option to upgrade database only? and when I run this database upgrade script do I step through each separate database version upgrade seperately or does it try and do them in one hit, I have no issue with going step by step if thats the safest way.

Sorry its hard to test an upgrade when i don't have an old version to test on yet.

Thanks

There is file showing the changes you need to make to update the database to one that will work with the most recent versions of osC.  See this post for a link to it...

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/395397-upgrade-to-234-from-older-releases-with-migration-upgrade/?p=1686734

Ok Thanks all

I downloaded and installed on a test site

osCommerce-234-bootstrap-2.3.4-GOLD

On the test server I created an empty database, imported the database from the old store (osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2) into it.

Then I grabbed the following add-on (Cheers Dan)

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8731

I ran the database upgrade script, I had a few minor issues, most probably owing to my interpretation of the instructions.

Then I altered both the configure filesof the test site to point at the imported database

The only issue i had was to get the bootstrap working correctly as rather obviously it wasn't in my imported database, so i grabbed the following code out of the install file for the gold version, and it seems to be working fine now.

INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Bootstrap Container', 'BOOTSTRAP_CONTAINER', 'container-fluid', 'What type of container should the page content be shown in? See http://getbootstrap.com/css/#overview-container', '16', '1', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'container-fluid\', \'container\'), ', now());
INSERT INTO configuration (configuration_title, configuration_key, configuration_value, configuration_description, configuration_group_id, sort_order, set_function, date_added) values ('Bootstrap Content', 'BOOTSTRAP_CONTENT', '8', 'What width should the page content default to?  (8 = two thirds width, 6 = half width, 4 = one third width) Note that the Side Column(s) will adjust automatically.', '16', '2', 'tep_cfg_select_option(array(\'8\', \'6\', \'4\'), ', now());

INSERT INTO configuration_group VALUES ('16', 'Bootstrap Setup', 'Basic Bootstrap Options', '16', '1');

I am slowly getting my head around this, it similar enough yet different enough to ZenCart to keep catching me out.

it similar enough yet different enough to ZenCart to keep catching me out.

ZenCart is a very old fork of osCommerce, that over the eons has diverged quite a bit. My advice would be to forget everything you know about ZC and start afresh with osC. If you try to apply your ZC knowledge to osC, you'll just keep tripping. It's like being familiar with a pet lizard, and then expecting to apply that to a new puppy -- "They both have bones and four legs... how different can they be?".

Archived