• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Item Listing alternating text colors

markem2

I do not know if anyone else has run in to this or not or if it has been discussed before.

That being said - I recently downloaded the latest version of OSCommerce and have been trying it out.  I just finished writing a new website for our company but thought that it would be nice to compare the two.  I have been very impressed with the current version and actually am thinking of throwing out everything I have done and switching everything over to OSCommerce.

Anyway, On the part of OSCommerce where the products are listed in a single column - if you use a bland black and white setup for the site - then you can run in to problems.  If you use black for the text - then every other column doesn't show anything to the customer.  The same is true if you use white.

So I went "Well, if you really want to use OSCommerce - now is the time to see just how hard it is going to be to modify the software," and I began looking for where this is done.

I finally found what I was looking for in the catalog\includes\modules directory.  The script is the product_listing.php script.  If you go to the WHILE statement at line 94 you will see after that line that there is the following command:

$rows++;

If you put in the following commands:

if( $rows % 2 < 1 ){ $class = 'even'; }
            else { $class = 'odd'; }

Then you now have a way to alternate the color of the text for the links.  You then need to go down to lines 108-117 and modify the link's ending from:

'">'

to be:

'" class="' . $class . '">'

This will insert the even/odd class names into the "<a href=...>" statements that are generated.

The only thing left to do is to modify the stylesheet.css found in catalog directory.  Just insert:

A.even    { color: #000000; }
A.odd    { color: #ffffff; }

And that's it! :)

I tried just setting the product text color but since these are links - that doesn't work.  Here is what I tried:

.productListTable tr:nth-child(odd) td{
  background-color: #000000;
    color: #ffffff;
}

.productListTable tr:nth-child(even) td{
  background-color: #ecf6fc;
    color: #000000;
}

The above did nothing at all except for plain text.  The links just ignored it.  Thus the a.odd and a.even entries.

I hope this helps someone so they don't pull their hair out trying to figure this out.

Mark

You just need the correct css selectors for the links, no need to change any php code

.productListTable tr:nth-child(odd) td a{color: #ffffff;}

.productListTable tr:nth-child(even) td a{color: #000000;}

Archived