• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

2.3.4 Umlaute / Special Character Problem in Emails and in Paypal Express Checkout

HansTatt

OK so I am running on 2.3.4., and I had difficulties putting everything to utf-8. German Umlaute came out wrong in order confirmation mails and also on Paypal Checkout / Payment Confirmation.

Just wanted to share what I did, since fixes were difficult to find (it took me quote several hours) and I think many people might have the same problem.

Fixed emails according to this here:

https://github.com/Gergely/oscommerce2-1/commit/5516a318148024fbebd6bc95a92850084dec9f96

Fixed Paypal Checkout according to this (at the bottom of the post, one line introducing utf8_decode)

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/397165-paypal-standard-not-emptying-basket/?p=1700040

Thanks a lot to these guys from my side!

Now I am really wondering, since one fix is from 2012 and one is from June 2014, why haven't these been added to 2.3.4? I am not really informed about development... I hope they will be included in 2.4 or even 3.0?

• 1 year later...

I have problem with special characters in emails too. I'm trying to access to the links you mention, but they are not available. If someone know what this links said I'll be grateful for the information.

Now I am really wondering, since one fix is from 2012 and one is from June 2014, why haven't these been added to 2.3.4? I am not really informed about development... I hope they will be included in 2.4 or even 3.0?

2.3.4 was released in June 2014 and has not been updated since (and there are no plans to do so). I can well imagine that it just missed the June 2014 fix, but I don't know why the 2012 fix would not be in (if it isn't). Only Harald has any idea when 2.4 will appear, and he's not telling. Who knows when and if osC 3.0 will ever show up. Meanwhile, 2.3.4BS (on GitHub, community supported, not the official version) has been kept quite well up to date, and is the version you really should be using.

Archived