• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Interesting read on big retail brands their ecom and social connection

greasemonkey

For those Interested I found this article good insight into how some of the biggest US retail brands are using the connection of their social networks and their ecom stores. http://mobile.businessweek.com/articles/2014-08-26/nordstrom-leverages-instagram-users?campaign_id=yhoo

I see this "connection" (likers on whatever social network to clickers and buyers on our site) as critical to business with younger generations.

Also maybe an addon?

To connect our store with Instagram... Thoughts?

Any shopowner who underestimates the power of these social sites needs to take the time to understand what impact "word of mouth" can have. After all, a tweet, or a fb, or an instagram, pinterest - is all word of mouth for a digital generation.

What we have in osCommerce:

1. social infobox (core)

2. opengraph module (standalone addon in "seo reloaded package") - adds extra data to facebook/pinterest posts

3. twitter card module (core)

I have not looked at Instagram.

What would be cool:

- shopowner adds a new product (or updates). Auto posted to Twitter Card, pinterest etc

@@burt agreed.... 100%. I use twittercard, pin buttons and FB (of course) already. These are all fantastic social connections to our (anybody's) fan base and site. The best thing is - you can actually get a "click through" on all above sites. I will have to look at opengraph...

The worst thing about all above social sites.... is also the "click though".... lol... FB is worst. The severally restrict the potential posts have to your fan base that is not ULTRA popular (like worldwide top 1% popular), especially posts with links and or pictures. The only way around this of course is to PAY.

Some have tried to get around this by making themselves look more popular... buying likers. I believe this just waters down the potential effect to your actual fans. As purchased likers are mostly just dead and oversea accounts without any engagement to your page/site.

That is the great thing about instagram... there is NO (at least not yet) restrictions to your fans... You post and it hits their feed. The down side, as I said above, no click though. Except for one link in your IG profile.

I love the idea of new products auto uploading to your social sites....

I also love how one of the retailers made their featured product page on mobile look/feel just like Instagram.

@@burt I see this note on the instagram site;

At this time, uploading via the API is not possible. We made a conscious choice not to add this for the following reasons:

1. Instagram is about your life on the go – we hope to encourage photos from within the app.
  2. We want to fight spam & low quality photos. Once we allow uploading from other sources, it's harder to control what comes into the Instagram ecosystem. All this being said, we're working on ways to ensure users have a consistent and high-quality experience on our platform.

So... maybe not possible with IG... But with others?

Archived