• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Streamlining the buying proces

GijsBrood

Hi everyone

I have just started building my oscommerce shop and have ran into some trouble. I am selling products that no one needs info on. e.g. a bottle of coca cola. I want people to have a very smooth shopping experience with as few holdups as possible.

I would like my website to have all my products on the homepage. Right now when you want to order something you have to click the product to enter the product_info.php then click Add to cart to enter the shopping_cart.php. In shopping_cart.php you can order and set a quantity of how many products you want to buy.

I would like to move the options you have in the shopping_cart.php to my homepage. So people can order and set quantities right away. Then when they are done shopping on the homepage they can checkout and get to the payment page without ever having to vist the product_info or shopping_cart part of the website. If possible I would like to remove these parts of the shop entirely.

Does anyone have any tips to get me started?

Thanks in advance

Gijs Brood

This would only work if you have very few products in my opinion. For me, there is nothing worse than seeing a page that has 200 products on it, all crammed into the tiny space...

So, 1st question: how many products do you intend to sell ?

The concept of the shop I am making is a bit different than the regular one. I will be selling about 25 products at first. So there is no problem with cluttering up the homepage.

I have added a picture with how I would like the homepage to look. Note that its a verry rough sketch.

http://imgur.com/tdeCXgX

@@GijsBrood You can't do that with a stock shop. You'll first need a way to display them on the home page. I agree with Burt that that is too many to list and it will probably cost you in lost sales since people won't want to wait for the page to load. But, assuming you do it, you can enable the buy now option in the product listing section in admin. And there is an addon that will allow you to add a quantity box to the listing. You would then need to change the code to redirect to checkout shipping instead of the shopping cart and it should be how you want it.

However, if you have use attributes, it won't work because the code has to redirect to the product page to allow the attribute to be selected. This will also require a customer to login before they can see what the total cost will be. So you will probably want to add a running total on the page.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs and I don't agree on much, but for this one, I think we both think you need to rethink your plans...

What you want can be done, but you then limit yourself greatly when you want to expand your product base.

Archived