• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Language support by upgrading from 2.2

miscmiss

Hi I need to have Thai language support, at least on the check out page .. my programmer says I need to upgrade to the latest version.

I have some Thai language capabilities but not for the address info of the customer.

How labour intensive is it and about how many hours will it take?

Also is there a work around?

I have Thai in the Contact us page and also in some description but when Thai customers use Thai script for their address info all i get is ?????????

Thank you.

If you are getting ????? for Thai language input, check to see if the page in question is the same character encoding as other Thai pages (most likely UTF-8). It's possible that you've got a mixup in encoding, which your programmer should be able to fix with little effort. If customer data has been stored in the database with the wrong encoding, some delicate work might have to be done in phpMyAdmin to translate it to the right encoding.

There is an add-on that is listed as being for osC 2.2, but the details say 2.3.3. Until someone clears up that confusion, it appears that Thai language support is only for osC 2.3.x (including 2.3.3). That means that if you want to continue using osC 2.2, and it's not a simple encoding problem, you will need to manually translate the English version of the language support files into Thai (at least, those that are customer-facing). The most thorough way (not necessarily the easiest) would be to take the English language files and compare them one-by-one against whatever Thai language files you have, to see which ones are untranslated, and which ones need updating. Note that this is only for labels, prompts, and other fixed text. If customers are typing in data and it's showing up wrong, that means a page encoding and/or database table encoding is wrong. Your programmer will have to investigate.

If you are still on osC 2.2, you really ought to be laying the groundwork for moving to osC 2.3.3.4 (the current version). Your 2.2 store isn't going to keep working without an increasing number of manual edits to keep up with PHP version changes and patch security bugs. Unless your store is heavily customized, it might be easier to install 2.3.3.4 in a /dev or /test directory, copy your data (images and database) over, upgrade the database to 2.3.3.4 format, and see what add-ons or custom work you need to do.

If you're currently "dead in the water" with your Thai customers, it might still be worth the effort to translate a few missing language support files from English to Thai. If you're lucky, it's just a matter of fixing some page encoding to accept customer input correctly.

There used to be a rc2a language pack that worked used it myself but it is a few years ago !!! need to do a good search .

If needed I may have somewhere on a hard drive

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Thank you for the replies. Looks like I will update my sight. How many hours will that take for a programmer?

Depends on the site and the programmer could be anything from a few hours to a week why not post in the commercial support section and ask for quotes

Best also to give a link to the site so the guys can see whats going on

Mr Phil is correct to invest money and time in an old version of osc is not advisable at best it is just patching

Making a new site does not mean the current site goes down it would normally be done in a development directory or a test server

Asking for a quote does not cost anything but will give you an idea of the price

Regards

Sakabua

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

Archived