• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Offline Credit Card Transfer With Tablet PC

jocose

I have a client that does work in rural areas where there are no cellphone or internet connections. They need a way to take credit card information in the field, bring it back to their office where they can charge the client.

I have fairly significant background in databases, networking, and programming, but I have never written a system that stores credit card information.

The data will be encrypted with AES, stored in a database on the tablet, and then later in the day deleted from the tablet once it has been brought back to the office.

Given that this is all offline, and never connected to the internet does this fall under the scope of the PCI standards, is this acceptable, or should I advise my client to look at other options?

Hi Greg,

As regards the legality no idea there are several contributions that do this I would strongly suggest to check.

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8579

I always advise my clients not to use

Paypal I think may have a new PayPal Here card reader might be interesting in the UK one off cost £99.00 and 2.75% - 3.40% + .20 pence per transaction you would need to google for more details on that.

Regards

Joli

To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.

PCI-DSS covers the whole range of security issues for credit cards, including database encryption and physical security of the stored data. I seriously doubt that this setup you're proposing would pass muster. No matter how well encrypted it is on the tablet, a tablet is easy to lose or steal. That said, I suppose it would do no harm to ask your client's bank or payment handler what they thought of it. Worst case, you'll have to pay for dry cleaning their suit after they pick themselves off the floor after their laughing fit.

The basic problem sounds like there is no live connection to process the payment electronically. Do credit card companies and banks still accept paper receipts? You know, the two or three part carbon paper jobbie you put the credit card on (under) and slide the handle across? Do those still exist? I seem to recall that you could deposit the slips like cash at your bank. If nothing else, you might ask about that.

Archived