• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

attributes sort order

kenneth59

we have 500 different articles of clothes on the site, the only attribute we use is size. Out of 500 items, the size with 23 to be exact are not listed in the proper order.

We start all items at small, medium, large, xlarge and 2 xl. In the ones that are not listing correctly some will start with 2xl, others will start at medium while others start with large.

We have tried to correct these particular items numerous times and while they will change order they are never in the right order! Its like those 23 items are jinxed or theres a ghost on osc.

Any ideas as to why this happens just on 23 items? All others are fine.

Hi Kenneth,

Not sure why some are fine while others are not.

There has been discussion on this topic and i seem to remember an add-on to help sort attributes.

Try searching the add-on section and doing a Google search for oscommerce forum attributes sorting.

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

Thanks Jim, searching google it seems its a known bug, wonder why it hasnt been fixed?

Also there appears to some fixes but it looks like for much earlier versions of OSC, im on the latest 2.3.3.4, would these earlier updates still work on what im using?

It works exactly as intended.

There is no admin-chosen sort order on options/attributes in the core code.

It is just "luck" that some are displaying correctly for you.

It is as far from a bug as it is possible to be, and there is no problem with it.

If you want to change the core code to suit your needs, please do.

Humm... strange!

I just downloaded and extracted it and there is an install.html file.

Also try Google searching. There has been a LOT of discussion pertaining to attribute sorting. ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

I had the same problem. It is a gz file. You have to download a free program to extract it. It is not a regular zip file. I got it installed but still have a few errors. I want to do the same as you, have all product attributes sorted in the same order. Still working on my fix. The add on does have alot of great features and the author does reply to e-mail if you have a problem.

@@kenneth59 The order of the attributes is not guaranteed because MySQL doesn't guarantee the order items will be return in and, as Burt mentioned, there isn't code to sort them built-in to oscommerce. I suggest you install the Ajax Attributes Manager. If you are using 2.3, it has sorting built-in. If not, you will need to make a small change to have sorting work. This also has the very large advantage of giving you a much easier way to handle attributes.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Heres the oddball thing maybe someone can explain. Many of the sizes that were not in proper order start becoming in the right order after a couple days, cant tell you how many time when we have a new shirt and do the sizes to it that it will be out of order but then you can either reload the page when your done or just blow it off and then in a couple days it magically becomes in order. Strange to me but maybe not someone else.

Also some of those add-ons freak me out by either not all the files are there or cant get a hold of the author if theres a prob, after all i would hate to mess up my site and have no one to turn to. :-(

• 2 weeks later...

@@kenneth59

Hi haven't added a sort attributes add-on to my lastest osC version but this might be worth looking at.

Sort Product Options

I have tried many different addd-ons and hacks suggested for this and they are either so complicated in code changing that a novice can't possibly understand what is being required or the hacks just don't work,

I am with whoever said this was a bug. The ID of the attribute should coincide with the order it was added and display in the same way. That is just logical. You add attribute 1, 2 and 3 and when 3 shows up as the 1st option, it is not logical unless you are working bassakwards displaying the last attribute entered first.

That is an illogical bug.

@kenneth59

Heres the oddball thing maybe someone can explain. Many of the sizes that were not in proper order start becoming in the right order after a couple days,

As mentioned. the result is not guaranteed. It might work today and not next month. If you don't want to leave it to chance, see my earlier post.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I have tried many different addd-ons and hacks suggested for this and they are either so complicated in code changing that a novice can't possibly understand what is being required or the hacks just don't work,

If you are using 2.3, the installation Attributes Manager is very easy.

I am with whoever said this was a bug.

A bug is some piece of code not performing as it should. That is not the case here since there isn't any code to sort in the first place. I think the sorting of attributes should be part of the core package but that has never been the case for any version of oscommerce for some reason.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@

I am with whoever said this was a bug. The ID of the attribute should coincide with the order it was added and display in the same way. That is just logical. You add attribute 1, 2 and 3 and when 3 shows up as the 1st option, it is not logical unless you are working bassakwards displaying the last attribute entered first.

Alternative Administration System

Current version: 0.2, Created by John Barounis

If you are using 2.3, the installation Attributes Manager is very easy.A bug is some piece of code not performing as it should. That is not the case here since there isn't any code to sort in the first place. I think the sorting of attributes should be part of the core package but that has never been the case for any version of oscommerce for some reason.

I read one person just went in and started changing the attributes of the ID to the order he wanted. I tried that.....just so hard if you have tons of attributes. I have been trying some things out such as deleting the 6 pages of attributes and starting fresh and I found a work around that I am going to describe as briefly but clearly as possible so maybe this will help someone else out.

What I did was this. I had 4 color choices for the product options to insert on each product. Naming them Color1, Color2, etc., and assigning various option values for 1 color option instead of adding all the colors to each. Time saver! I wanted to have a "Make a selection" value for the attribute list so I created this in the options too.

Next, in product attributes I started with Color1. I tried adding the attributes, starting with the "Make a selection" option, in the order I wanted them to appear. That did not work, they sorted bassakwards in the drop down list. I then went in, noting the ID number of each, and edited them to be backwards. That worked for Color1.

For Color2 I tried the same thing. Again, it appeared backwards. So in this option I had to add them in the order I wanted them to appear. That worked. I then went onto Color3 and Color4, adding them in the order I wanted them to appear and that worked too.

So, to be brief, if you have multiples of the same option, try adding the first one in backwards then the others in the order you want them. It worked for me..

Archived