• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4

osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4 is a general maintenance release focusing on improving core features and the Database Tables "Convert to UTF-8" action introduced in the previous release.

This release is in preparation of and building up to v2.3.4.

Changelog

• MySQL Error Functions (Harald)
    Don't pass a null parameter to the MySQL error functions otherwise PHP will display a warning message.
  • UTF-8 Conversion (Harald)
    Also manually convert existing data records to UTF-8 and detect encodings to prevent double encodings. Allow a dry-run to show which queries would be performed.
  • LC_NUMERIC Locale (Harald)
    As LC_ALL is now being used to set the locale, some languages other than English were using commas in float/decimal values which conflicted with MySQL. LC_NUMERIC is now set and forced to the system locale after the main language file has loaded.

Release and Upgrade Guide

A detailed release and upgrade guide is available online at:

http://library.oscommerce.com/Online&en&oscom_2_3&release_notes&v2_3_3_4

Download

Full and Update Packages of osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4 can be downloaded at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/Products

Thank You!

We'd like to thank the community for their feedback on our releases. In addition, we thank the following people who participated in the development of this release.

Bug Reporters

Testers

Reference

A full list of source code changes can be seen at:

https://github.com/osCommerce/oscommerce2/compare/v2.3.3.3...upgrade2334

:heart:, osCommerce

Hi All..

Just some insider news .. this release was meant to be pushed out sooner this week due to the MySQL convert-to-UTF-8 query introduced in the previous release not doing a sufficient job at converting tables to UTF-8. We did a lot of research on the matter and discovered that we also had to take each record in every table into consideration - and detect and prevent double encodings from occurring.

We found a solution and it worked amazingly good on MyISAM tables however the same query failed on InnoDB tables which had varchar primary keys. In the core, the "sessions" table has a varchar primary key (the session ID) and we also discovered some Add-Ons also having varchar primary keys. We had to fix this even though the core is not optimized for InnoDB tables.

An entire day alone was spent on finding a solution for InnoDB tables and the end result was replacing a @ variable in the query with a duplicate value. It worked, it passed our tests, it also worked for others who we asked to test it out, and finally the InnoDB Table Pom Pom Girls were cheering again.

Gergely also found a nugget in the MySQL documentation that stated that @ variables should not be used in normal queries and is recommended only for SET queries.

Now we know, and now we have an awesome UTF-8 conversion tool in the core :thumbsup:

:heart:, osCommerce

I plan an extra feautre to convert module. There would be use char modules where you can define conversion rules. So the HTML descriptons could be convert to XHTML tags, convert special characters or do other problems.

:blink:
osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

Thanks to you three for moving things along.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

OK I have just applied 2.3.3.4. I still have the issue in tools/security check that I had with 2.3.3.3, and was adviced to wait for this update.

I have the following message:

MySQL UTF-8 mysql_utf8 Some databse tables need to be converted to UTF-8 (utf8_unicode_ci). Please review the tables under tools -> Database Tables

Do I need to put a check mark by ALL the latin1_swedish_ci and pick "convert to UTF8? About 85% of table is not UTF8 at the moment.

Just want to be sure on what to do. Thanks

I think you have a test page. Keep one database backup and do conversion.

osCommerce based shop owner with minimal design and focused on background works. When the less is more.
Email managment with tracking pixel, package managment for shipping, stock management, warehouse managment with bar code reader, parcel shops management on 3000 pickup points without local store.

I crossed my fingers and toes. The confersion seems to be working. You know there is a but. When I run Security Checks I it the same message. I have opened Database Tables and do not anything that says Latin1. All is saying utf8. I have refreashed the page and nothing changes.

The conversion suggests utf8_unicode_ci collation and your tables maybe utf8_general_ci. So convert all tables to utf8_unicode_ci collation. Select all oscommerce tables and at the bottom select Convert to UTF8 auto. If you have other system tables (wordpress, joomla, and so on) in your databse those tables could be referal bad collations but this is not intresting.

Need v2.3.3.4 database_tables.php for the conversion.

• 1 month later...

When can we see 2.3.4? I know you are doing osCommerce in your spare time and you are doing a great job!

The reason I ask is because I am moving two more stores to osCommerce and want to know if it is worth waiting for 2.3.4 or just stick with current version and buy responsive template.

Thanks,

Rudolf

P.S. How does one gets involved with development of osCommerce? I may be able to help.

There is loads of ongoing developments, stable version at github easily. Dev versions also at github, but a bit harder to find (as they are dev versions, hence don't want "normal" shopwners downloading and using them [for live sites]).

@Harald Ponce de Leon I am not sure how to contact you directly, so I will post this here, although this is about the forums here and not the shopping-cart's development.

Have you considered adding to the forums "Thanks" button with thanks meter, like on xda-developers?

I am quite sure this can make the osC community much more active and helpful...

Also, a thread rating system like on xda may be a good idea...

@dr_lucas - there is a "like this" button on each post. Hit "like this" when you see a post you like, likes are counted on each users profile.

A thread rating system also exists already. Upcoming is a "best answer" system where the best answer in a thread can be chosen.

"Thanks" button with a clearly visible "Thanks meter" under each user's avatar in the thread like on XDA is a much better implementation.

"Best Answer" is a great idea to be added too! :)

• 3 weeks later...

:D Hi Mr. Ponce,

I appreciate so much your message. I am new to Oscommerce, but very interested in it. I want to set up a online store. But I am not sure how? Maybe you can help me clear my mind.

after I purchase the web hosting, I still need to install the OSCommerce software to my PC or not? Since PHP and MySQL have the web-based administration. can I just edit my online store in the web server and not need to install the PHP/My SQL in my PC at all?

I am a little confused about this: can it be another possible way? Oscommerce is just like shopping cart? If I want to add a home page or other features in the my website, and the Oscommerce is within my website, can or not? for example, if I use Dreamweaver :software set up my PHP/MySQL website and link to my purchased web hosting (which support the oscommerce), then I downloard the Oscommerce source code inside my web pages, can it work this way? I will have more control over my online store then.

I know you are the expert of oscommerce, would you please advice me about my above two questions? in a word: 1. can I just edit my online store in the web server no installation anything in my PC? 2. if I want to have more control over my online store, can I use the oscommerce source code add to my web site using Dreamweaver? I would like this if it is possible.

Any other advice and suggestions are very welcome. I want to work it out in the best way, if you have some examples of Oscommerce website link for me to look at (both examples of my two questions, that will be wonderful!) Many thanks in advance!!!

Sincerely,

Joys

1. Yes, you just install it at your hosting.

2. No, you can not edit it via Dreamweaver.

Click on the basics for osc 2.3+ design link in my signature for info on changing the design.

1. Install on hosting. save copy to your computer as backup.

2. You can use your hosting file manager to edit files. you can download them to your computer then when edited upload them again using ftp. Dreamweaver is an HTML editor. Oscommerce is php. Either is notepad++ or some other code editor.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

To Nick:

Hi Nick, Thank you so much for your response to my silly questions. I have learned a lot from your tips. I have checked your URL, I appreciate that you are doing big business. I just courious, where is your location? If I want to choose your hosting, at least I would like to know what country you are in. (in case considering the time zone difference etc.) And if you can do me a favor to show some links of your customers' (owners' ) online shops let me to have an overview of what my online shop should look like. Again I apprciate so much your response, thank you so much! Joys

________________________________________________________________________________________________

To Steve,

Hi Steve, I appreciate and thank you so much your response to my questions. I do learn something from you. I enjoy you saying: store owner not coder. :D. And I admire that you are the store owner now, but myself still not the store owner yet! My response is - coder or not coder is no matter, matter is you are doing your own business now! if you can do me a favor - showing me the link of your online store, I can learn something new from you! Will you? (only when you like to...) Also I like your quote: backup, backup and backup! I need to really remember backup my content stuff. Again thank you so much. Joys

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1. Install on hosting. save copy to your computer as backup.

2. You can use your hosting file manager to edit files. you can download them to your computer then when edited upload them again using ftp. Dreamweaver is an HTML editor. Oscommerce is php. Either is notepad++ or some other code editor.

Dreamweaver is quite capable of editing PHP files amongst a whole lot of others, CSS, JS and much more - depending on the version, you can create projects, add your ftp account and even upload directly from dreamweaver to the server. - I've been using dreamweaver amongst other IDE's for years now.

here is a link to a comprehensive list of file types that can be edited in dreamweaver.

www.fileinfo.com/software/adobe/dreamweaver

"The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is a knowledge of our own ignorance."

Archived