• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need categories meta tags

bibleman

Hi,

I have a question that should have a simple answer, but I am unable to find it.

On my categories page I have this in the head.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<? if (defined('HEADER_TAG_METHOD') && HEADER_TAG_METHOD == 'Bobby'){ ?>

<? $the_categories_name = isset($the_categories_name) ? $the_categories_name : 'Dake Bible and more Dake Bibles by Finis Dake - Ministryhelps'; ?>

<title><? echo $the_categories_name; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<? echo $the_categories_name; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<? echo $the_categories_name; ?>">

What I would like to have is.

<meta name="description" content="<? echo $the_categories_name; ?>"> AND THE CATEGORIES DESCRIPTION.

I have tried this and it does not work.

<meta name="description" content="<? echo $category['categories_description']; ?>">

Anyone have a clue to what the code should be to pull in the categories description into the meta description tag?

thanks

Leon

I'm having a great Day - hope you are too!

Leon

That's a very old method of getting the title and meta tags filled. It doesn't do you much good nowadays. You should replace it with an addon that allows better control of them.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That's a very old method of getting the title and meta tags filled. It doesn't do you much good nowadays. You should replace it with an addon that allows better control of them.

Yes sir,

I understand that Google doesn't use meta tags for search engine SEO... but don't they pick up the "meta description" for the part that is displayed on their search results?

Leon

Yes, they do. But the way you are doing it means the description will be loaded from the products description. Since they limit the length of it, it will most likely be truncated. So who knows what you'll end up with for the description. If you want to have control of that, then you need a meta tags addon. if you want to load it with the method you are using, try using google to search the forums for it and you should be able to find an answer since it used to be a popular method.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, they do. But the way you are doing it means the description will be loaded from the products description. Since they limit the length of it, it will most likely be truncated. So who knows what you'll end up with for the description. If you want to have control of that, then you need a meta tags addon. if you want to load it with the method you are using, try using google to search the forums for it and you should be able to find an answer since it used to be a popular method.

Thanks again for your kind replies,

What meta tags addon would you suggest?

I have SEO URL's by forward media installed .

Products are working great with the meta tags - it is just the categories that I am need of.

Leon

If you don't care much about SEO, then just about any will do the job, though you should use one that is currently supported. If SEO is a concern, and I can't imagine why a shop owner would think otherwise, then use Header Tags SEO. See my signature for other SEO-related recommendations. If you meant SEO URL's by FWR and you decide to install Header Tags SEO, you will have to run that addon in rewrite mode. That's the preferred mode as far as I'm concerned but you may not think so so you should be aware of that.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived