• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Multiple "fuzzy" posting options

kelvyn

I think this probably belongs in the "my store" cat, but then it's a config not a layout question, so here goes:

Someone must have come across this problem before:

Our store posts items of greatly varying sizes and weights, with some small things being heavy, and large things being light but bulky.

So, doing it on weight is out. Doing it on cost (as we are doing now) is not good, because it discourages the customer from spending a lot.

So, we thought about a "postal index" where each item gets a score, which would be our "best guess" amalgamation of weight vs size vs posting cost. Say, and index from 1 to 10.

But, suppose (as happens) the customer orders 10 large but light items, they can all be "nested" and put into one box, but the customer will be charged 10xthe single item - not fair, and likely to put them off.

So, I had the idea of classes, where each item in that class would trigger a one off surcharge for as many of that item (or, say, groups of x of that item) would attract a surcharge. But then, what happens if 1 item of lower order is included as well. Phew! Before I sit down and learn PHP and mySQL from scratch, has anyone tackled this before?

If not, I might just be on my way to my first contrib!

Archived