• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

keyword site search - NOT just product search

svella

Hello,

I have a client who wishes to search her osCommerce site by *keyword* not simply by product as the current search info box does.

I have added quite a number of informational pages to her osCommerce spa site (FAQ's, treatment description pages, etc).

There are also, products that are the osCommerce part of the site.

Thus, she would like a search that not only search her products, FAQ's treamtments, etc.

The products are of course in the database, the description of treatments, FAQ's etc are not.

Is this possible?

Will a utility such as Google Search added to the site instead of the current search accomplish this? (I haven't attempted this yet).

My client is very insistent on this and I would greatly appreciate assistance.

If any further information is required, please respond I will happy to provide any information required.

Thank you.

@@svella

This is your clients first mistake "I have a client who wishes to search her osCommerce". Your client should hire a developer that knows the search feature in osCommerce actually searches the database and that it will not search HTML pages. A good developer would have integrated the FAQ, About us and other information pages INTO the osCommerce site and not have added HTML pages at all. Now, your client is stuck with TWO websites that will not interact with each other in a common search format.

So, the fairest advice to your client would be.......hire an experienced osCommerce developer to properly create and configure the site for optimum performance.

Chris

I have a client who wishes to search her osCommerce site by *keyword* not simply by product as the current search info box does.

I have added quite a number of informational pages to her osCommerce spa site (FAQ's, treatment description pages, etc).

There are also, products that are the osCommerce part of the site.

Thus, she would like a search that not only search her products, FAQ's treamtments, etc.

The products are of course in the database, the description of treatments, FAQ's etc are not.

Is this possible?

Will a utility such as Google Search added to the site instead of the current search accomplish this? (I haven't attempted this yet).

My client is very insistent on this and I would greatly appreciate assistance.

If the pages were added with a contibution, like Information Pages, then look at my SiteSearch Plus contribution. It can be altered to search any page that has not been added by such a contribution but you would need to know how to code it to accomplish that.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

so now you have 2 solutions,

1) migrate to a database solution for faq and other pages

2) modify jacks contribution to work with your pages.

you should choose

1) if you expect more frequent change to these pages, or creation of new pages

2) if the pages you have are fixed, done and very little changes expected in the future.

when the page content needs changing

2) would probably require a developer to make the change,

under 1) client should be able ot make changes themselves

Edited by bruyndoncx

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Get rid of the built-in osC search and replace it with some general purpose search such as Google. This should pick up both the product pages and the informational pages. Don't try to run both searches -- it will only lead to confusion on the part of customers.

I haven't tried googles search in a while but the problem with it used to be that it only returned results for pages that are listed by them. Eventually all pages will be indexed but, initially, they won't be. This creates a problem for new pages and sites not indexed well. Perhaps that is not the case anymore though.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all who responded, and apologies for the delay in responding; I have been working on other aspects of the website....

I thank you very much for all your responses.

Yes, I realize that osCommerce searches only the database, and I have informed the client of such.

Unfortunately, it was not my choice to create her web site using osCommerce, which integrates, as is correctly pointed out, *2* web sites, osCommerce and not.

The osCommerce solution was already chosen when I started working with it, thus, I must either simply explain that the site searches the database and other solutions are somewhat intractractable, or see if something such as google search will do more of what the client wants.

Selena Vella

the problem with it used to be that it only returned results for pages that are listed by them. Eventually all pages will be indexed but, initially, they won't be.

A fair point. If the site is crawled reasonably frequently (which it will be, if spiders keep finding fresh content to index), there shouldn't be too much delay. Just don't expect a product or information page change to show up immediately -- it might take a day or two... or more.