• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

www.ecommerceoffice.com??

Declan

Hi all,

I have set up a store using osC, been up and running a few months now, yesterday I did a search on the net for my website and found a company named Ecommerce office at www.ecommerceoffice.com who are displaying a list of example stores (all osC), anyway my store was listed. I emailed them pretending to be a potenial customer and asked them if they set up these websites, there response was:

Yes, they are all set up by us.

Whats up with that?

Some of the sites listed as "set up" by them are:

Anyone know anything about them?

Hrmph. And of course they fail to mention that if you wish to forego all those lovely fees you can download osCommerce for free and do it yourself.

I am all for making money by providing full service on free software, but I am of the opinion that that should be stated up front. Your customers should know that the software you are using is free and that you are only charging for labor. Hell, it wouldn't even take much imagination to make that seem like a *benefit* to the customer. Make them believe that you are saving them money.

As far as taking credit for stores they did not create, that is just wrong. As one who has stumbled though all of this, all I can say is I'd better not EVER see my site up there.

Beyond that I am 99% certain that it is not legal, but then IANAL.

That is pretty unbelievable. It looks like they are taking credit for the design and programming of those stores. Or, at the very least, hosting them. I am half tempted to e-mail them and ask them what's going on, but truthfully, I'm pretty lazy and probably won't. If you have your store listed on the "Live Shop" section of osCommerce, I would urge you to check out the site mentioned above and check to see if your site is there.

They have the apul Harris store listed also, so it looks like they did a strip of the Live Shops listing. I'm sure Paul Harris would be thrilled....

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

• 3 weeks later...

What the HELL!

:evil:

I just got an anonymous email, alerting me to this scam..(Thank You who ever your were!!!!!!)

I found my site listed by these jokers... And I must tell you I am slightly MIFFED.

Not only was my site (www.the-wizards.com) done by ME, it is hosted on MY servers, feed by MY T-1 and housed in MY server room at MY store!

I tired calling these loosers and got the answering machine run around.

Has anyone actuall been able to get in contact with these guys?

Hi Shawn,

Just to let you know I first came accross their "affiliate", free host design. http://www.freehostdesign.com and they sent me to www.ecommerceoffice.com when I posed as a potential customer and tried to get some answers

I have checked and the contact telephone numbers are different so you could try this number to contact them:

Tel: 408-998-5898

I have also checked your site and is also listed on this site, under the sample sites section. It looks like they just copied the list from the sample list from this site.

http://freehostdesign.com/html/sample.htm

If you manage to get in touch with them can you let me know what they say.

These guys are serious evil. I did a little digging. They get their IP's from bulk mailers. Note from this trace, that the same people own the block that their IP's came from. A search on Aztech Cyberspace Inc will bring you to http://www.aztech-cs.com/, which will in turn bring you to http://www.twelvehorsesnorthamerica.com/index2.php . Basically spammers, so my original thought of complaining to their upstream probably won't work. At best it might be met with laughter.

[majik@home majik]$ nslookup ecommerceoffice.com

Server:  voltron.nve.com

Address:  192.168.182.8

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    ecommerceoffice.com

Address:  12.165.53.74

[majik@home majik]$ whois 12.165.53.74

[Cached]

[whois.arin.net]

AT&T WorldNet Services ATT (NET-12-0-0-0-1)

12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255

RTTC COMMUNICATIONS, LLC RTTC-COM85-48 (NET-12-165-48-0-1)

12.165.48.0 - 12.165.55.255

Aztech Cyberspace Inc. RN-638844 (NET-12-165-52-0-1)

12.165.52.0 - 12.165.53.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2003-04-13 20:10

# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

[majik@home majik]$ nslookup freehostdesign.com

Server:  voltron.nve.com

Address:  192.168.182.8

Non-authoritative answer:

Name:    freehostdesign.com

Address:  12.165.53.75

[majik@home majik]$ whois 12.165.53.75

[Querying whois.arin.net]

[whois.arin.net]

AT&T WorldNet Services ATT (NET-12-0-0-0-1)

12.0.0.0 - 12.255.255.255

RTTC COMMUNICATIONS, LLC RTTC-COM85-48 (NET-12-165-48-0-1)

12.165.48.0 - 12.165.55.255

Aztech Cyberspace Inc. RN-638844 (NET-12-165-52-0-1)

12.165.52.0 - 12.165.53.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2003-04-14 20:10

# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

[majik@home majik]$

Yes, I added the bold for clarity.

So now what? you guys are just gonna let these jokers get away with it? I may be new to OSC but I do know if you have a little "©" at the bottom of your page if someone uses anything from that page or claims they created it...its illegal.

We go through all the trouble of setting this up, then modifying it to make it a bit differient from every jack and jill and these @#%@@#$ losers take credit...

Keep us posted on what happens.

Cheers,

-Ryan

So now what? you guys are just gonna let these jokers get away with it? I may be new to OSC but I do know if you have a little "©" at the bottom of your page if someone uses anything from that page or claims they created it...its illegal.

We go through all the trouble of setting this up, then modifying it to make it a bit differient from every jack and jill and these @#%@@#$ losers take credit...

Keep us posted on what happens.

Cheers,

-Ryan

The little © will not stand up in any court case unless it is truly copyrighted... Any joe can stick that on their webpage, and i can tell you from experience, it means nothing.

There was an article on this before (searh it up on google), it does mean something.

If you do go through the trouble of actually registering your copyright nothing like it but if not...this is the next best thing.

Cheers,

-Ryan

Actually, The US joined the BERNE COPYRIGHT CONVENTION

in March 1989. Basically this means that the copyright symbol is not necessary.

If you dont see the symbol it doesnt mean the work(s) are in the public domain.

Many people recommend using the copyright symbol to prevent people *accidently* using the work in question.

If you do some work which can be identified as your own then you stand a fair chance of winnig any battles. Copyright esp. in this digital age can be a minefield but before you read the myths learn the facts first.

Protect your own work and value that of others.

*All trademarks mentioned belong to their respected owners*

try this:

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Special Effects / 3d + Flash

Gracious,

I have never seen anything like this before.

I do hope they remove those sites they have no interest in.

I trust I do not see my site up there.

Byron :!:

BG

Making the internet community better. Knowledge is power.

I emailed them yesterday to ask them to remove my site from the list (http://www.healingstrands.com), their reply was

Hello,

It has been removed.  Since we are our sites to new servers, it may takes couple days for it to be updated.

Please contact us for any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Edward Johnson

Customer Care  

The have removed it from their sites I suggest everyone do this then they will have no sample sites, or we could always make a little PHP script which checks the refering address and if its from any of their sites we could send their customers a special message about how they had nothing to do with the making of this site and how osC is actually free :lol:

Declan

Hehe pretty cool. I bet thats gonna get them pretty Pi***d :P

Should annoy them long enough for them to take it out....

How did you manage that though? care to share?

Cheers,

-Ryan

Goto there site at: http://www.ecommerceoffice.com/html/shoppingcart.htm

look for were there Demo shopping cart, there is a Admin Tools Demo and the Catalog Demo.

for the admin Demo goto: http://ecommerceoffice.com/admin/

for the Catalog Demo goto: http://ecommerceoffice.com/catalog/

ohh no!!! they must of removed the product i added. :evil:

Those IDOTS!!!

willl everyone Please add a product to there Demo Catalog, untill they get sick of it and then maybe they will remove our web sites...

let me know if anyones does this.

Thanks.

Sean

I think you are out of order defacing their site. It puts Oscommerce into a bad light, these things should be left for the Core Team to deal with.

If you are going to vigilante, please don't mention Oscommerce Forums, or site in your defacements.

are you the one who removed it?

i don't know what the hell to do :?

i emailed them 5 times and they still wont remove my site from there site.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

What should i do?

I kind of disagree with burt, I agree this should be left to the core team but I also agree in defacing their site a bit...it kind of helps in getting some satisfaction from those @#$@#%@#%@#%@#%@#%@#% :lol: :oops:

since they are both spammers and rogues...nearly everything will bounce off their cheap hides....sometimes its good to take things into your own hands...

but thats just my view of things...

cheers,

-Ryan

YAHOO!!!!! I finaly got ahold of them via Phone and they are going to remove my site... Yeah! :D

if you want them to remove your site Call: 408-998-4998 right now.

YAHOO!!!!!!!!

i did tell him that there are a lot of other people that want there web site removed also..

so please Everyone call that number.... NOW or you might never get him.

Thanks.

Sean

Archived