54 replies to this topic

#41   vampirehunter

vampirehunter
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

View Post14steve14, on 26 August 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

@FWR Media

I have to agree. Its not the shop owners responsibility to take care of the users own computer security. As a shop owner i have a responsibility to ensure that any information i keep, is kept safe, so this must also apply to the customer, and his own personal information.

i don't understand.

if you use the PWA feature. all that happens is that a customer enters their address, email and the order is completed, and you get a confirmation email, and that order is stored in the database.

the customer however, does not create an account, and therefore you have no issues.

Correct me if im wrong. but even if a customer who has signed up using the register feature. if you delete that customer from admin section, their order still stays in the database.

so what is the problem then? you are still keeping the order information, but if customer doesn't want to open a permanent account, they don't need to and you keep that order information for your future reference/tax returns etc.

If you are going to offer a login/register feature, then your website really must have a "delete account" feature. so customers who want to have their accounts deleted can do so.

Some customers (including myself) do not like signing up for accounts if im only going to order once from a company. i don't mind the company keeping my order details for their reference, but i wouldn't want my personal details floating on their database forever.

Thats the reason why people prefer guest checkouts.

no hassle, no issues.

#42   multimixer

multimixer

Lemons or Melons ?

• Partner
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:00 AM

View Postvampirehunter, on 19 September 2012 - 08:30 AM, said:

If you are going to offer a login/register feature, then your website really must have a "delete account" feature. so customers who want to have their accounts deleted can do so.

This is a good point

#43   1player

1player
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

17 years of taking orders on-line
One word
PAYPAL

In early days of the net, you had little fear of giving a site info and most were unsecured

Then the media made everyone aware

YOU GAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD TO AN ON-LINE STORE

So now if you are not amazon or bn or ebay, you have major credibility issues with taking any CC info

Most small biz owners are best to steer the whole transaction end of on-line shopping to paypal IMO

Most on-line BUYERS have used ebay and most have used paypal, since ebay owns it

the problem I see with OSC, is the cart leads to a page with CHECK OUT and PAYPAL on it, if you use paypal exclusively you do not want that client info on your server, it's why hackers target OSC

if a small operator wants to have the power of collecting CC and client info, fine, but that is why many people don't use small unknown stores, you're not branded as 'creditible' as BN, Amazon and ebay is.

So being able to REMOVE that checkout icon on a cart just using paypal is huge, they go to paypal and enter their user info, or if they're not a paypal user, they enter client info on paypal where it is secure, not on a wide open cart with a plethora of security issues.

my 2cents

#44   vampirehunter

vampirehunter
  • Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

View Post1player, on 24 September 2012 - 12:36 PM, said:

17 years of taking orders on-line
One word
PAYPAL

In early days of the net, you had little fear of giving a site info and most were unsecured

Then the media made everyone aware

YOU GAVE YOUR CREDIT CARD TO AN ON-LINE STORE

So now if you are not amazon or bn or ebay, you have major credibility issues with taking any CC info

Most small biz owners are best to steer the whole transaction end of on-line shopping to paypal IMO

Most on-line BUYERS have used ebay and most have used paypal, since ebay owns it

the problem I see with OSC, is the cart leads to a page with CHECK OUT and PAYPAL on it, if you use paypal exclusively you do not want that client info on your server, it's why hackers target OSC

if a small operator wants to have the power of collecting CC and client info, fine, but that is why many people don't use small unknown stores, you're not branded as 'creditible' as BN, Amazon and ebay is.

So being able to REMOVE that checkout icon on a cart just using paypal is huge, they go to paypal and enter their user info, or if they're not a paypal user, they enter client info on paypal where it is secure, not on a wide open cart with a plethora of security issues.

my 2cents

But paypal is one of the worst payment systems in the world. They hold peoples money and you don't have the rights you would get with a proper merchant bank and gateway.

Thats why id rather pay to get a merchant account and gateway, something like sagepay.

I hate Paypal. The only way i would offer paypal is if i can receive money from paypal customers but that i don't have to have an account with paypal or be associated with it.

I will not use Paypal, its a rubbish service, and almost facist with the way it operates, ripping people off.

#45   1player

1player
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

personally, paypal never holds on me, I'm unusual, I get large item subscriptions all the time, so that was the only issue, having a clent able to send you large money monthly, so the client has to verify their info more than usual, IF you handle large money, but for what I do primarily, I find a client, like a lawyer and it's 2500 to 5000 bucks a MONTH to use me, they subcribe via paypal and if they don't verify their info, then they can't keep paying, so once 'verification' is done, you have no problems with paypal, now if you want to collect money and be 'anonymous', yeah you run into road blocks all the time, you want to sell stuff they don't do like adult you get kicked, try to open a merchant for an adult biz and see how fast you hate every merchant provider when they want 3 to 6 months of income up front and 15% to 20% to process your stuff, for 'legit' stuff, paypal is the best, I've used tons of banks over the years, and in the old days you could get a merchant easy, then it got tough, and now for any type of on-line stuff, it's very difficult, so our primary income is from local business owners and we went to subscription billing for our monthly fees, since paypal does all the paperwork for us, the funds are swept every night into our main account and they're available in 2 days usually, so whatever you were doing to get paypal against you is the problem, IMO, but if you like merchants, keep them, me, I recommend paypal to everyone since it's the 'most trusted' third party payment vehicle on the net, period.

#46   Juto

Juto
  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I don't like paypal at all. It requires a lot of extra info from customer. So, I stick with regular payment gateway, where customers only fill in their card details and then the gateway verify it with customers bank and execute the payment.

It seems to me that this discussion has gone astray from where it started.

The original osC checkout process could be better, that's true, but how?

If you please, suggest!

Personally I have modified the process, just a little, like replacing the "bullet.gif" with a cart and moved the continue button below the current checkout title... It was a simple change... but effective.

Sara

#47   Biancoblu

Biancoblu

1291 Giger's Alien

• Community Sponsor
  • 738 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

I like Paypal for the reason that I am spared the hassle of gathering customers' financial info and processing credit cards myself, I prefer avoiding the aggravation that that can cause if anything goes wrong like the site being hacked for example.

Having said that, it is true that Paypal apply rather high fees and usually rule in favor of the buyer in case of disputes. Fortunately I only had one dispute in over 6 years.

As for the one page checkout it really is a matter of personal choice, I'm not against it but I don't see how having shipping and payment info on single page as opposed to two will speed up the transaction that much, if a customer is serious about buying he will buy regardless of the checkout system, what matters really is security, that's personally what I look for when I buy online.
~ Don't mistake my kindness for weakness ~

#48   sportstolen

sportstolen
  • Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

Many times when i shopping online i want to view the cart and see what payment methods is availible and how they can ship the products to me, if i need to login/create a account i will press the back button in the browser and shop somewhere else...

Probably this is different around the world, but here in sweden one page checkout with guest shopping is one of the higher priorities when some choose an ecommerce..

#49   rabon33

rabon33
  • Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:46 AM

Intuit a big company, made a study about one page process and Multiprocessing pages... the result shows that currently with faster machines and faster internet speed, is better a multipage process; they apply this to a lots of products, like Turbotax and  QuickBooks.

They say that averages Joes prefer a "complicated" process handled akin to a GPS. step by step turn by turn page by page to avoid mistakes.

Edited by rabon33, 08 September 2013 - 02:48 AM.

#50   Bob Terveuren

Bob Terveuren
  • Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Change the checkout? Hmmmm how about

Use shipping quote in cart.
Convert create_account.php using PWA (bypass login altogether) so that it has bare minimum of required details.
Easiest way next is to offer one shipping and one payment system (if it requires any user input on the osC site then ensure those fields are on checkout_confirmation page only.
Edit checkout_shipping and checkout_payment to move customer -> checkout_confirmation and there they can use the edit address option if they want a different shipping/billing
Edit checkout_success to logoff/kill remaining sessions i.e. customer never has an account.
Repeat visits use a cookie system to prefill data fields.
Edit all account related pages to redirect to index.php (or wherever)

or

Install a one page, Ajax'y thing that works fine on a valilla store but will break on yours every time.

Personally I think that's a ton of work and when I go shopping online I'm quite happy to trudge through multiple checkout pages and create accounts where required (especially as I often do repeat orders at some sites)

Watching my wife shop online is educational - shipping quote without creating an account is important - and if you are listing products on a comparison site/Froogle etc and you've not included the sales tax in the listing price then she's gone as soon as she sees the pricing is different - but the Three Step Checkout Dance does no faze her at all.

#51   MrPhil

MrPhil
  • Members
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

What I would see as the ideal situation, from a customer standpoint:

(before checkout): offer links to pages with Payment Methods Accepted, and Shipping Methods Available
                 let customer with an account sign in at any point through checkout payment
                        let signed-in customer delete account if they want to
                        let signed-in customer edit account information (including
                           whether they want newsletters and other marketing)
                 in cart, if customer is signed-in (you know their address), consider
                    offering a preview of shipping costs and additional taxes (sales, etc.)
                        let customer enter PWA information in order to get shipping/tax information

(at checkout): if not logged in, remind customer that they need to log in if they have an account
                 (requiring ID of some sort, and password. for maximum privacy, do not store ID in cookie)
               if still not logged in, ask for minimal information needed to process order (PWA)
                     remind customer that information and email will NOT be used to market to them
               after information entered, ask them if they would like to enter a little bit more and
                 have an account they can return to. remind them that "create account" link is there.
                     at any point in checkout, clicking "create account" uses the already-entered PWA
                     information to prefill form for creating an account
               finish checkout, and discard PWA info from web page

If the customer did NOT create an account, honor your commitment not to market to them. If they DID create an account, honor the checkboxes saying whether they do or do not want to receive newsletters and other marketing from you, and whether they'd like to have their email address passed on to others for marketing purposes. Both should be "no" by default.

Whether to cram everything onto one page is up to you. There are pros and cons to being able to see everything at once and how it fits together, versus risking overwhelming the customer with so much information at once. You're going to have to go to a separate page anyway for the actual payment, and probably another page for shipping method selection. What's left could probably easily fit on one page. If there's a lot of information you need, consider letting the customer choose whether to see it all on one page, or split it up into a sequence of pages.

#52   ossomemore

ossomemore
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

I am also a fan of KNOWING all the costs and seeing the products I buy and I dont really care if that takes two or three pages, what i dont want is this one click pay and then AFTER my CC or, PP, or Paysafecard is charged find out that the shipping cost me more than the product itself - happens SO often with that amazon one click!

#53   peteravu

peteravu
  • Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Surprised about all the ones that are so negative about the one page checkout. For sure in Scandinavians countries this is preferred.
Why can Shipping, Payment and Confirmation not be on one page? if you don’t have tons of options for Shipping and Payment why all those steps and clicks that is waste of customers time. keep things simple.
Also there are other shops than retail shops, for the most wholesale shop one page checkout is perfect. actually now when this are discussed would I say that the one page checkout could be skipped so only a click on the checkout bottom should bring you directly to the checkout success page. That will be ok for a wholesale shop where nearly 100% are returning customers.

#54   jhande

jhande
  • Members
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

My thoughts on an ideal checkout process...

New customer options:
Setup an account or guest checkout.
Shopping cart; add a feature (such as filling in your zip code) to get shipping quote.
Next page; fill in shipping address, chose shipping method if more than one available, also payment method again if more than one option.
Final page; verify all info and click submit payment.

Returning customers with an account:
Have a login on the shopping cart page besides the regular login page (choice of how you can login).
Verification page of products, shipping address and method, payment method (again if options exsist), click submit payment.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with the startard osC checkout process. Personally I would prefer to checkout on any web shops with a quicker proceedure. I have shopped at a few places online that have a similar/quicker checkout process and it's much easier and nicer.

As far as the off topic of the payment issues...
Offer both Paypal and your own payment gateway.
I know many people that refuse to deal with PayPal as a customer online as well as some people that will only use PayPal. But then again I know some folks that refuse to use their credit card for any online shopping.

Just my 2 cents... :-
- :: Jim :: -
- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

#55   joli1811

joli1811

Hansum Man :)

• Community Sponsor
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:49 PM

Hi,

Well use the commercial solution myself works perfect for my needs Better Checkout from mattjt83

http://forums.oscommerce.com/forum/99-developer-feedback/

Works great no glitches and presents the customer with a better experience well worth the small money.

Regards
Joli

Edited by joli1811, 06 November 2013 - 05:49 PM.