Followup to my opensource q: Installing Dev folder on prod server
Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:15 PM
Thank you for all the responses for the opensource question I had earlier; I have a question though on how to install a development environment on the production server; I am new at "cart" software - so this is confusing for me; normal web development no problem - so please bear with me.
The only way I am envisioning this to work is to get another domain but make it a "test" site; the place that I am currently hosting my site you can not directly install the catalog in the root foler - so it is down a node....
To make the development enviroment work, if not getting another "mirror" site with another domain, would look something like this on the host server:
where the "Test" environment on the production server would be the tree under DEV -
1) I tried to just copy all of my existing files to that directory and got all kinds of errors - so I am assuming that is not going to be a productive way to go
2) I deleted #1, then installed a new version of osCommerce in the dev directory then tried to install that by changing the file permissions, then typing www.vidagrace.com/catalog/dev/catalog and got all kinds of errors where the .php files can not be found. I am guessing it is because they are down a directory?
So my questions are
1) is this the way you recommended to set up a test area/staging site on the production server?
2) do I just get another domain to use as a test site?
3) ANY SUGGESTIONS on how to get this working and what I am doing wrong?
Thank you all - I am sorry I keep appologizing - I bought an oscommerce book, I can do web development, but I am so new to cart software - this is my first attempt - I know when I get it and understand it, it will all click, but trying to piece it all together right now seems a bit overwhelming -
thank you so much for the help
Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:55 PM
the extras is not needed on the development server to run the shop software
in the (catalog)/includes/configure.php file, you can amend your filepath to reflect the dev directory and not catalog
there are several threads about how to move catalog directory and servers.
hope this helps a little
PS frustraded by the lack of feedback
Did you know 99% of all people benefiting from my posts, won't bother to repay the favor.
Wouldn't it be great if you are part of that exclusive 1% ?
post your findings in my responsive liive shop review thread ?
Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:36 AM
Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:26 AM
If I don't use the /Catalog directory - do you just take everything under it and put it in place of /catalog?
meaning instead of
you woud have
dev/*.* (remove the catalog folder, but keep everything under it.)
Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:50 PM
If customers are not going to see your /dev branch (only you will), who cares that it's /dev/catalog instead of /dev?
Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:27 PM
I am sorry to have to ask this, maybe I didn't search enough - but I go to install it and it still can't find my files? So I am just confused if I need to change all the paths listed in the config, or if there are just a few....
Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:02 PM
- Rather than installing into /catalog/, you install into /dev/catalog/. Same directory structure as before, but "one level down".
- In the configure.php files, anywhere you see "/catalog/", change it to "/dev/catalog/". I think you should have to change only one line in <admin>/includes/configure.php. It's set up to take care of the rest of it by itself.