• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New Installation-database error

Firefly_fun

I created a sub-domain on my hosting to create my shop. I then uploaded the catalog folder last night. Installation went fine except that I could not get to the admin panel to create a user. I figured out that the admin folder for some reason was missing. I ended up deleting the uploaded files and uploading the catalog folder again. That's when my problems REALLY started! After I configured the two config.php files I tried to go to [shop.domain name]/catalog/install/index.php and got an error: Cannot connect to database! I then went into my hosting to delete the DB from PHPMyAdmin but it wasn't there. I had planned to do a fresh install after deleting the database but I don't know what do now. Uploading the catalog folder again seems futile.

Anyone know how to remedy this? Any help greatly appreciated!!

After I configured the two config.php files I tried to go to [shop.domain name]/catalog/install/index.php and got an error: Cannot connect to database! I then went into my hosting to delete the DB from PHPMyAdmin but it wasn't there.

Exactly that describe the problem and its solution at the same time: You possibly didn't create a database and/or configured the configure.php files not correctly and, finally, there is no reason to do the web based installation after manually configuring that files

Here is what you need to do

- Upload a complete osCommerce package to your server, eg to folder /shop/ or /catalog/ or /store/ or /kuku/ etc (done)

- Create a database via your hosts cPanel (remember database name, user and password)

- pint your browser to yourdomain.com/store_folder/install/ and follow the installation steps

That's it

After that, delete the /install/ folder on the server and set correct permissions to the 2 configure.php files

Thank you Multimixer! I have solved the problem. There were a few actually. I created a new database and did a completely fresh installation and all is fine now. I deleted the install files from my hosting as opposed to removing them via the FTP side. So far all is well except for an .htaccess message I get in the admin screen where you can add users. The message tells me that my .htaccess file needs to be writable and I changed the permissions so as far as I can tell, it is writable. Hope this doesn't create problems down the road.

Thanks again! :D

BTW, one of the problems was that I was entering in the wrong path! I only needed to go as far as [domain name]/catalog. The errors were occurring when I was trying to get to [domain name]/catalog/install/install.php which of course, doesn't exist!

Archived