Photo
- - - - -

category descriptions and header tags seo

can it mess up seo?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1   robster2

robster2
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:11

Hi all

Im in the process of installing the contribution category descriptons v 1.08 and in index.php it says that I should remove the following under if ($category_depth == 'nested') {
$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, c.categories_image from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
	$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

but there I have the header tags seo tags
/*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
	$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, c.categories_image, cd.categories_htc_title_tag, cd.categories_htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
	/*** end Header Tags SEO ***/

Is it safe to delete the code or will it mess up header tags seo so that I loose my suberb google search results??

Thanks in advance
Rob

#2   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,684 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:19

Header Tags SEO already has categories description built-in, as well as manufacturer and product descriptions, so there's no reason to install the Categories Description contribution.

#3   robster2

robster2
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 13:50

After some more searching this contribution did the trick for me http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4053

By the way...Thank you so much for Header Tags SEO Jack!! Google top 5 on very heavy search terms.. /thumbsup.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':thumbsup:' />

#4   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,684 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 15:34

You're welcome. But I am curious as to why you would install a contribution that isn't necessary?

#5   robster2

robster2
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:07

Because I want to design custom category pages within the design environment of dreamweaver and rather leave the oscommerce setup as it is cause Im not so good with coding..

#6   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,684 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 14:20

But that contribution, as well as Header Tags SEO, only change the existing files. If you are meaning to create html pages with DW, then they will hurt your shop and that should not be done. I suggest you change your methods of working with the shop instead of finding ways to have it change to work with your old ways. I know there is a level of comfort involved that is difficult to give up, but the result will be worth it. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

#7   robster2

robster2
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 14:51

Are you sure it will hurt the pages? the only thing it does is adding a php file under or over the db generated page leaving it as it was just with more freedom to add content and pictures

Edited by robster2, 21 June 2012 - 14:56.

#8   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,684 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 16:43

I assumed you were adding html pages. If you are adding php pages, then it shouldn't hurt anything, assuming the pages use oscommerce code at the beginning, which is sounds like it will. I don't understand why what you are doing would require a separate contribution but if it works as you want and doesn't break the session ID then you should be all set.