• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it possible to change the first page to informational rather than products?

cstovin

I searched the site but can not find what I am looking for; our company does alternative ceramics and the process is different for me than what a person would normall purhcase. I would like to add that information on the welcome/first page rather than dive right into shopping - is that possible to do in version 2.3.1? How would I do that or at least add a paragraph or two about what we do before leaping into shopping?

Any comments and suggestions would be much appreciated - thank you all

C. Stovin

In your includes/languages/english/index.php you have a define called define('TEXT_MAIN', '');

You can add any text between the two ' ' using html.and it will show on index page at the top.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@@cstovin

You could use an .htaccess redirect to send the customer to an information page when they first enter the site. Similar to this one:

http://www.dunweb.ca/demo/balloons231/information.php?info_id=3

The .htaccess code would be something like this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteRule ^$ /xxxxx/information.php?info_id=3 [R=301]

</IfModule>

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

@@DunWeb

What does this mean...

?info_id=3 [R=301] in the post above?

How do I redirect them back from that page?

Sorry - this is probably really basic - I just need to get past this then can move on...but I can't see all of the source :0)

Thank you!!

Charlene

@@DunWeb - one more question- there are several .htaccess files - do I do that in all of them? Thank you, I am trying to learn this stuff - I programmed years ago, but shopping carts are a little different animal

C.

In the example above, there is a redirect to a dynamic page created by an addon, that's why information.php?info_id=31, similar to product_info.php?products_id=12

You don't need this to achieve what you want, you could redirect to any other page, such as privacy.php, or a new page about_us.php or anything

Such a redirect will force visitors to go to an other page of your store instead of the front page, so I'm not sure if this is what you want

I would do this in the way @@14steve14 suggested, he has even something similar on his own website, that is posted for a review, take a look here In that page the front page remain your frontpage instead of hiding it totaly

From there on, there are several other addons available to make your front page even nicer, you could search for "modular frontpage" in the addons, just to name one of them

Interesting - thank you both - I used to do simple web design and was able to grasp that just fine...this is challenging for me, not sure I am ever going to get it!

Do you have to add that code in all the places the /english file exists?

Thank you

C.

Chris...how did you change your template so you have the additional links at the top (about us, contact us, shop, etc)?

My store is really small, I am selling custom leather goods that I make, as well as candles, horse hair pottery, Raku Pottery, etc - I don't want to appear like a huge "shop" that has a lot of electronics, etc - just a small "homey" shop that is elegant and simple....

I know how to do the layout in simple sitemaking - but not sure how to modify the template set so it looks more like a small shop than large scale discount shopping - not sure if that makes sense - but I just want the usual links like you have accross the top below my banner....

Thank you

C.

Archived