Photo
- - - - -

How to protect yourself from international scammers?

(paypal)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1   zeus_r6

zeus_r6
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 13:07

Hearing horror stories from a previous business who ran osC and had some customers from overseas claim they never got their high dollar items. Apparently the customs form still wasn't enough to stop paypal from putting a hold on the account and paying the buyer who says they never got their items. This caused a downward spiral as orders were still coming in. Any insight on how to sell internationally and be protected as a seller?

Thanks in advance!

#2   DunWeb

DunWeb

The Censored One

• Members
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 13:14

@zeus_r6

As a seller shipping internationally, it is your responsibility to ensure all required customs paperwork, duties and fee's are included in your shipping costs. A product is not considered 'delivered' until the customer signs for it. YES, ensure you require signature on ALL shipped items. Use postal services to ship internationally as Couriers LOVE to charge additionally for brokerage services where postal services "usually" don't bother.

Chris
:|: Was this post helpful ? Click the LIKE THIS button :|:

See my Profile to learn more about add ons, templates, support plans and custom coding (click here)

#3   zeus_r6

zeus_r6
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 13:29

Last time I shipped something internationally, the postal service person pointed out there is no signature required service for international

#4   DunWeb

DunWeb

The Censored One

• Members
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 13:37

@zeus_r6

You are right, it is not REQUIRED, but it will save your butt if the customer says they didn't receive it. And a signature request only costs a couple of bucks which you include into your shipping costs.

Chris

See my Profile to learn more about add ons, templates, support plans and custom coding (click here)

#5   zeus_r6

zeus_r6
  • Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 19:48

I guess what I was saying is the post office claimed there was no such service for international

#6   geoffreywalton

geoffreywalton

Professional Developer

• Community Sponsor
  • 8,247 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 20:42

Maybe the US Postal service don't offer an internatinal signature service and Canada does.

Uk does

http://www.postoffic...onal-signed-for

USPS offer Return Receipt with the recipient’s signature sent by postcard. Some countries don’t allow return receipts.

https://www.usps.com...or-business.htm

Don't you just love google.

Cheers

G
Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner
My Contributions
Basic install answers.
Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.
UK your site.
Site Move.
Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

#7   DunWeb

DunWeb

The Censored One

• Members
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 21:08

@zeus_r6

I guess what I was saying is the post office claimed there was no such service for international

If USPS doesn't offer it, then you will have to ship UPS, FEDEX or another courier that does. Just be sure to include brokerage, customs fee's and tariffs in your shipping costs.

Chris

#8   ForceInduction

ForceInduction
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 23:26

Last time I shipped something internationally, the postal service person pointed out there is no signature required service for international

This is incorrect. On SOME of USPS services there are no confirmation. 1st class does not offer this service and same with the small flat rate boxes. In order to get signature you should ship Priority mail.

But to get to the original question. I have a rule. When dealing with international orders anything over $500.00 I will only accept wire transfers...no exceptions.

Anything under $500.00 I normally will only accept PayPal and I will only ship to the verify address that is on their account. If the address does not verify then I will not accept the payment. Also pay extra for signature confirmation on the shipment.