• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do you think the proportion of shop owners using v2.x and v3.x?

alex298

Hello,

All osCommerce tutorials on my website are v2.2 and earlier. Now I am thinking to update my osCommerce tutorials to v2.3.1.

I have a question:

What do you think the proportion of shop owners using v2.x and v3.x?

According to the enquiries I received, the ratio should be about 6:4.

Best regards

Alex

Alex

It appears that many, many people are confused (not just Alex). 2.3.1 is clearly a member of the 2.x family, yet they insist on asking questions in the 3.x support area! What's with people these days? 2.3.1 is not part of osC 3.x!

@@MrPhil

I think that Alex really didn't have a question, but rather was just trying to advertise his tutorials with a link in his signature which has since been removed. He posted several on threads that made little sense.

Chris

Hello,

I am sorry that I made a typo mistake. My question should be:

What do you think the proportion of shop owners using v2.2 and v2.3?

I am sorry that if the signature was against the policy. However you really no need to said something like that. This is only the first time I have added a signature since I joined in 2006.

Best regards

Alex

@@alex298

Most shop owners using v2.2 Rc2a will update as they need to, for right now they have working secure sites so there is no need for them to update right now. When there servers update software they will make the necessary changes to keep the shops running.

Chris

What do you think the proportion of shop owners using v2.2 and v2.3?

I think the majority of shops are still using 2.2. New oscommerce shop owners will use 2.3 since it is the only choice. But 2.3 was not released as a legitimate upgrade option so most 2.2 shop owners are not upgrading, in my experience, since the effort to do so is just too high. That majority will change over time, though, as old, 2.2, shops go out of business and new, 2.3, shops open up. But I don't think 2.3 will ever see the popularity of 2.2. It was a poorly thought out release.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I agree to what Jack has said above. I run a 2.2 store and am slowly creating a new 2.3.1 store. I have a working store, so there is no need to rush. As 2.3.1 is still relatively new, add ons are not being updated or created, unless someone particularly require that addon, and i do not have the time to sit and recode them all. It will more than likely be years yet before V3 is stable and released, and then posssibly a long while after that add ons are coded.

New shop owners will either use 2.3.1 or go elsewhere. There is a wide choice of free stores now, some not very well supported unlike oscommerce, but some do have everything included and require very little extra coding.

And then there are of course those people that cannot read, and try to use V3 then get all upset when it doesnt work.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Or, RC2a shop owners can keep there added contributions plus upgrade to the "almost" v2.3.x That's what I have done (I have about 30 addons).

Wrt the upgrade I have avoided to implement jQuery, since It's buggy and I would love to be indepedent of external libraries.

Sorry to say that I must keep it for the sake of fancybox although I am trying to find a self contained alternative.

Also, while upgrading I moved to document type "strict" and have fixed all errors on the store front. Presently I am working on the admin side.

I do have a vision of the future ... so far I haven't seen any shop system near that vision... and I have looked at quiet a number of them.

My recommendation is to go for v2.3.x if you start a new shop or haven't modified your RC2a / MS2.2 to much.

Sara

Archived