Photo
- - - - -

Volusion's osCommerce malware ad...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1   WrinkledCheese

WrinkledCheese
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 14:31

Has anyone seen the ad Volusion has on google that seems to say osCOmmerce has malware?

I have the full screenshot, but googling oscommerce brought up this ad at the top of the results.

Attached Files

#2   DunWeb

DunWeb

The Censored One

• Members
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 14:33

@WrinkledCheese

They have been advertising it like that for quite some time now but they are referring to the older 2.2 RC2a version. v2.3.1 has no known vulnerabilities.

Chris
:|: Was this post helpful ? Click the LIKE THIS button :|:

See my Profile to learn more about add ons, templates, support plans and custom coding (click here)

#3   WrinkledCheese

WrinkledCheese
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 15:19

I only just noticed it today.

How is it legal to use this sort of FUD 2 years after 2.3.1 has been released?

#4   14steve14

14steve14
  • Members
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 15:58

Did you click on the link and go to the website to the comparison between oscommerce and volusion. That is so funny. It looks as if oscommerce cant do anything.
REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Don't take life too seriously. no one gets out alive anyway

#5   MrPhil

MrPhil
  • Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 16:26

It's libelous, but the owners of osC would have to be the ones to file suit. That is, unless the detailed content actually says that any visitor to an osC store automatically faces deadly malware, in which case any osC storeowner could bring suit (because their customers are being frightened off). Is it worth the bother? Could osC launch a similar advertising campaign, targeting Volusion, and get away with it on grounds that "turnabout is fair play"?

N.B.: I am not an attorney. I only play one on TV.

#6   WrinkledCheese

WrinkledCheese
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 18:25

Trust me, the people who pay the cheques to the people who know better will be scared off base don the title of the add when they google oscommerce when someone says it's a viable option.

#7   MrPhil

MrPhil
  • Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 20:39

Oh goody, an even larger pool of litigants against Volusion! They're depriving you of your livelihood, if any significant part of your income comes from osC work.

Seriously, I think those in charge of osC would be seriously remiss if their attorney/solicitor didn't send a strongly worded cease and desist order to Volusion.

#8   nottheusual1

nottheusual1
  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 19:29

I click on the ad as much as I can, especially after getting rid of my Google conversion cookies. They should pay for my patronage!
:not_the_usual1
[you decide]

-- Trying to figure it out, just like everyone else --