• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Trying to follow instructions from the How Do I FAQ....

definitivefreak

I was trying to follow #5 from the How Do I FAQ but I don't seem to have the /catalog/includes/column_left.php or column_right.php files. I have version oscommerce-2.3.1 installed.

I'm also having problems with installing the Social Login module... on my page (http://www.emeraldrose.co.uk/catalog) it says "Invalid access of this interface".

And when I went to the file /catalog/includes/languages/english/index.html to change the 'welcome guest' text, the 'TEXT_GREETING_GUEST' line was missing. So I added what it said in the FAQ but it didn't change anything on the page. Plus, line 13 is this: define('TEXT_MAIN', ''); but isn't it meant to be this?:

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup …… . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');');

Also, is there a step-by-step guide to help with the CSS file? I don't know what all the sections refer to and it's rather confusing.

Thanks in advance :)

It sounds like the FAQ you're using was written for osC 2.2, and is not valid for 2.3.1. You'll have to look around for a 2.3.1 version.

includes/languages/english/index.html does not exist. Did you mean another file? The default entry for this name is in includes/languages/english.php, and is

define('TEXT_GREETING_GUEST', 'Welcome <span class="greetUser">Guest!</span> Would you like to <a href="%s"><u>log yourself in</u></a>? Or would you prefer to <a href="%s"><u>create an account</u></a>?');

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'some title on the page');
define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup …… . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

Be careful when editing any of this that you escape and apostrophes ' (use \') such as in don\'t.

It sounds like your 2.3.1 installation has really gotten mangled, either by your editing or the incorrect installation of add-ons. Maybe you should start over with a fresh install.

It sounds like the FAQ you're using was written for osC 2.2, and is not valid for 2.3.1. You'll have to look around for a 2.3.1 version.

includes/languages/english/index.html does not exist. Did you mean another file? The default entry for this name is in includes/languages/english.php, and is

define('TEXT_GREETING_GUEST', 'Welcome <span class="greetUser">Guest!</span> Would you like to <a href="%s"><u>log yourself in</u></a>? Or would you prefer to <a href="%s"><u>create an account</u></a>?');

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'some title on the page');
define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup …… . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

Be careful when editing any of this that you escape and apostrophes ' (use \') such as in don\'t.

It sounds like your 2.3.1 installation has really gotten mangled, either by your editing or the incorrect installation of add-ons. Maybe you should start over with a fresh install.

Hey, thanks for your response. :)

I certainly do have the english/index.html file, check the screen print...

post-202531-0-04807500-1338276103_thumb.jpg

(if it doesn't show up here, it can be found at http://www.emeraldrose.co.uk/screen.jpg

There are only forums and FAQs for v2.x and v3.x so I assumed everything in v2.x could be applicable to me...

Your version is 2.3.1

Version 2.3.1 is a far cry from 2.2 and many things that apply to 2.2 are inapplicable in 2.3.1

It doen't have the column_left.php file for one thing. The left and right column contents are controlled by settings in the admin mostly.

And if you look at the image you posted closely you'll find the file extension is php NOT html

osC doesn't use HTML files in a default "vanilla" install.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

I didn't quote any code.

osC 2.3.1 "How to..."

There is a lot at the link above.

If you can't find what you need there try searching the forums BEFORE starting a new topic.

99.99% of the questions you'll ever have are answered here .... Somewhere....

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

I was trying to follow #5 from the How Do I FAQ but I don't seem to have the /catalog/includes/column_left.php or column_right.php files. I have version oscommerce-2.3.1 installed.

I'm also having problems with installing the Social Login module... on my page (http://www.emeraldrose.co.uk/catalog) it says "Invalid access of this interface".

And when I went to the file /catalog/includes/languages/english/index.html to change the 'welcome guest' text, the 'TEXT_GREETING_GUEST' line was missing. So I added what it said in the FAQ but it didn't change anything on the page. Plus, line 13 is this: define('TEXT_MAIN', ''); but isn't it meant to be this?:

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup …… . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');');

Also, is there a step-by-step guide to help with the CSS file? I don't know what all the sections refer to and it's rather confusing.

Thanks in advance :)

TEXT_GREETING_GUEST is defined on line 230 of /catalog/includes/languages/english.php

And you're not "being a hassle".

:)

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

Archived