• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hosting options

Jerrythreet

I am doing research on having a site built on the oscommerce platform. I am looking for some recommendations for hosting. I have heard pros/cons for dedicated servers vs. shared. I will have about 120,000 products on my site but am only about 2 month online so the traffic is very minimal currently. Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

@@Jerrythreet

Shared hosting on an unlimited server would be fine. However, your customers may find refresh times slower during peak server traffic times, especially when performing product searches. You MAY want to consider a VDS to avoid bottlenecks.

Chris

That size database should be handled by any moderate or higher cost shared server plan. I would avoid the super cheap and free ones, especially as you plan to grow. Just be sure that your host will let you trade up to a more capable hosting plan with minimal pain when your traffic increases to the point where you're straining a shared server. A good host will credit your unspent balance from the shared server to your more expensive plan. Anyway, discuss your plans in advance so that there's no misunderstanding later on. There's no fun like being shut down for excessive resource usage and finding out you'll be down for a week awaiting a server move, during peak holiday sales, and you forfeit your unspent balance on the cheap plan!

Remember: there's no such thing as a truly "unlimited" server of any kind. On a shared server, there's always some limit (often CPU load) that will result in your host cutting you off. However, shared is a cheap way to get started and get the kinks ironed out before you start spending money on VPS or dedicated servers.

Archived