Photo
- - - - -

Testing PayPal Website Payments Standard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1   obcbeatle

obcbeatle
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 16:56

Hello:

My 2.2RC2a e-store has lay dormant for about a year so I recently rolled up all the security from the security sticky thread. Now I want to test my PayPal Website Payments Standard module to make sure it still works, but I can't remember how I tested it a year ago. I DO remember having some issues not with it not working but just testing it via PayPal's test site. Has anything changed in the past year with this module as far as testing it? I'd really like to go thru the whole process of purchasing items via PayPal and making sure the checkout works all the way thru. Feel free to point me to a thread that explains this (I haven't found it yet). TIA!

#2   obcbeatle

obcbeatle
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 15:35

Anyone? If I try to use my only PayPal account (that I use for my store payments) to test, won't buying from my own store mess up my PayPal account? Thanks!

#3   kymation

kymation

Code Monkey

• Community Sponsor
  • 8,281 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 17:23

Go to this Paypal page and sign up for the Paypal Sandbox. Once you have that set up, create at least two sandbox accounts: One for your osCommerce store and one for a test customer. You can create more than one customer if you want. Put your sandbox store account in the email field for the osC Paypal Standard module and test away.

Regards
Jim

My Addons

Banners Box Download Support
Categories Accordion Box Download Support
Closest Shipper 2.2x Support
Document Manager 2.2x Support
Generic Box Download Support
Get 1 Free 2.2x Support
Modular Front Page Download Support
Modular SEO Header Tags Download Support
MVS 2.2x Support
PDF Datasheet Download Support
Price in Cart Only/MAPP Download Support
Price Updater 2.2x
Products Specifications 2.3.x Development Version Support Bugs/Suggestions
Request a Review Download Support
Shopping List Download Support New!
Specials Image Overlay Download Support
Superfish Categories Box Download Support
Theme Switcher 2.3+ Support  Updated

#4   obcbeatle

obcbeatle
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:26

Thanks Jim...much appreciated. I'll give that a go!

#5   obcbeatle

obcbeatle
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:09

OK...I signed up for Paypal Sandbox; created a PP buyer account and a PP seller account; put the PP Sandbox seller email address in the osC Paypal Website Payments Standard email address field (seller address to accept payments); changed the gateway server to sandbox; logged into me osC e-store using a test account (an osC test customer unrelated to PP Sandbox); put an item in the cart and checked out. When I click Continue Order on the Order Confirmation page I'm re-directed to the login page for PayPal Sandbox (the page you login or sign up). If I login using the account I created when I signed up for Sandbox it takes me to the page to that shows the Sandbox test accounts I created plus a login button "Enter Sandbox Test Site". I can login to the test site but no transactions have transpired for the PP test buyer or seller. I must be missing something in my osC Paypal module setup or Sandbox setup? I'm not sure how this sandbox is supposed to work. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

#6 ONLINE   Jack_mcs

Jack_mcs
  • Members
  • 26,543 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 16:34

I don't suggest using the sandbox for such a problem. It is difficult to deal with if you are not used to it and it doesn't exactly mimic a live account. All you need to do is ask someone you know to test the site with the paypal module setup as live. Once the order is complete, you can log into your paypal account and issue a refund for the order.

As far as it being changed, no, there hasn't been a change in the paypal standard module, which is the one I recommend, but your module my be an older one so you may need to have it updated.

#7   obcbeatle

obcbeatle
  • Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 13:55

Thanks Jim and Jack for the replies. I was finally able to use the Paypal Sandbox after waiting about an hour. Maybe it was a DNS record thing. Anyway it works now. I'll probably get a friend to test for me too to make certain. Thanks again for the replies.