• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Payment methods

gtilflm

Hi. Just wondering what people think about charging customers a fee for paying via PayPal. My services really don't need immediate payment so I'm ok with waiting for the check in the mail. I've tried offering a small discount for paying by check, but I'm still getting a lot of customers paying via PayPal and the fees are annoying me.

Does anyone have ideas on alternative payment methods? eChecks? Other cheaper solutions?

Thanks!

@@gtilflm

Quite honestly, PayPal's fee's are a bit lower than most of the other payment processors available. How do you deal with checks in the mail ? It takes 21 days to clear a check, do you wait 21 days to ship the product ?

Chris

I actually provide online math classes and tutoring. I have more of a personal relationship with customers and not so much of a retail-type relationship. So, there's more trust there in accepting payments via check.

I just looked at Zashpay, but it appears they've been bought out by Popmoney..... Anyone have other ideas?

• 1 month later...

Nowadays core banking services available so check clearing is done within 2-3 days you do't wait for your payment on the other hane the paypal payment is risky if you are not use secure transaction process because so many threats on line transfer of money.

If any one hack your account password you loss more .

So I thinks payment by check is better.

Thanks.

There a couple things you can do. Mark your pricing to include the 3% fee you are getting charge or the percentage you are getting hit with. Tell the customer you can go lower on the price if they do cashiers check/money order and you can just take off that 3% mark up.

You can also do wire tranfers but this is better on the very high amount items since there is normally a $15.00 or so charge per wire transfers.

Or you can raise the shipping cost a little to absorb the fees and keep the product pricing down.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been here in a while, but there used to be an addon that you could install that automatically included the 3% Paypal fee when PayPal is selected. I don't know if they have it for 3.x versions or not (but I think they should integrate it into the core script with an option to turn on/off). Else have it as an addon that's easily installable.

--Sanguinarius

If you're reading this, I'm probably pulling my hair out. ;>

*waiting for osCommerce 3.0 alpha 6* (I'm after the coupons.)

Well...if you are in the US of A, which is (apparently) the land of the free and home of the brave....

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods).

• 2 weeks later...

Well...if you are in the US of A, which is (apparently) the land of the free and home of the brave....

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

Actually that might be changing soon: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303644004577520662407333958.html

But in reality here in the USA, its not going to be generally acceptable by most consumers to pay a fee to merchant for using plastic. Now its quite acceptable to offer discount for cash or check. I think PayPal frowns on this other payment method.

The credit card companies and banks are making a windfall profit with all these fees.

Archived