Photo
- - - - -

Help to create best Checkout Design

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#41   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 13:52

Hey many thanks for all the great thoughts.

I will soon release the first alpha version of Smart Checkout.

By the way, in admin made a new option. Now you can say if you want a confirmation page or not. If not the order will be just made on a single page, otherwise you will be redirected to a confirmation page to confirm your order.

#42   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:27

Hi, I have just one question I am little unsure about and hope someone can answer.

I want to create sessions for customers data such as firstname, lastname, email and so on. But only for guests. Because in application_top.php, guest data gets deleted if a certain session is registered. It needs to be set there in case a guest is cancel checkout process. So I need to store the guest data into a session so as not to write his data again in the fields if he wants to checkout again.

Now for the session question:
I write data like this:
_sess_write($key, $val)

and get the data
_sess_read($key)

Now, do I have to add some session_id as key for the session for security reason? And could I add more keys and values to a single session?

Thanks for some insight in advance

Edited by strub, 18 May 2012 - 06:28.

#43   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 19:45

Ok the session thing is done.

Now th only question I have is about the credits.

I have used some code snippets from purchase without account. Is it fine if I add some credits on the file I have created or do I need to credit somewhere else?

#44   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 16:57

Hey sorry for the long development time but I am still on testing which takes a lot of time. I hope I get it finsihed within a week.

By the way, things are quite tricky with the guest accounts and normal accounts, especially in use with a confirmation page. Because a "temporary" account needs to be made in both cases so that it works fine. But if you leave in the confirmation page, there is no way in deleteting guest account.

The only way which could work but only for guest account is to check the database customers table and the time the account is created and delete those which are older then 1 day or so. But this does not work with normal accounts because if a customers pays with paypal and does not return back to the shop, the account gets deleted too, really bad.

Anyway. The best thing would have been to change the whole code which needs to be used for creating accounts and orders. But that would have been a lot.

#45   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 20:11

Ok I was not happy with my current coding and change therefore quite a few things. As you propably know I used the idea of PWA to make orders as a guest but it will still create a temporary account which is not that great. Now, I made it my way. Wrote a new function in order.php so that orders can be made without the need of an account. This has solved many problems too. But because of the changes I need some more time to finish it.

#46   Chris H

Chris H
  • Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:36

Well said ggrant3.
Lots of shoppers want to compare total prices, as quoted by several prospective suppliers.
If we require our visitor to give

first name
last name
street
city
postcode
email address
password
phone number
date of birth
sex

just to be allowed to see the total price, we have lost the sale.
It's true that we may need to ask the destination country, in order to calculate the postage.
But even in this case, let us give a 'why we need to ask' explanation.

#47   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 13:41

Ok the development is almost finished. Just need to test everything again.

I have added some new options in admin for Smart Checkout:

- Create account required: If enabled, customers need to create an account to process orders.

- Create account option at checkout page: If enabled, customers have always the option to create an account at the checkout page.

- Create account option at success page: If enabled, customers will be asked if they want to create an account at the success page.

- Counter enabled: If enabled it will show the steps in numbers to proceed an order.

- Send email login data: If enabled, in the succes email, username and password will be sent too.

- Confirmation page: If enabled customers will be redirected to a confirmation page.

and the other options I said in another post.

Edited by strub, 26 May 2012 - 13:53.

#48   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:30

Just released the first alpha version here:
http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/8459

Hope this contribution might help someone as well.

#49   robster2

robster2
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:53

does it work on v2.2?

#50   strub

strub
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:16

Haven't tried it but it might work on v2.2 with some minor changes.