• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce - more basic information/explanation?

TimesArrow

Is there a basic DFD on what a potential user needs and how he would install it. I've only coded basic html for my sites, have no shopping cart. FTP the html to my host. I've looked through oscommerce "About" and the forums. I see no basic information.

Can I download a oscom version and install on a pc Mac or Windows to test?

Is there server emulator software to load on a pc Mac or Windows then load oscom to test?

Do I have to lease server space first then dl oscom and then follow the install instructions?

(Probably the stupidest question) - is there free server space like free web host space?

On what oscom does - I'm just guessing it's like Dreamweaver with a shopping cart built in?

tHankS!

You can load xampp to host a test shop on your pc.

I do not believe there is a how to install xampp on this forum but there is plenty of documentation on theirs on how to install xampp and use it.

Tips for those starting out can be found in my profile.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

hey thanks geo! xampp even has a mac ppc version so i don't have to buy a new computer!

so once xampp is loaded i can dl oscom 2.x and load it? just guessing it seems to me that oscom has to have a mac install dl. because it looks like the oscom install is an .exe file which won't run native on a mac.

Oscommerce is not an .exe install..its a web/browser based install (php) so you should be able to install it on MAC and xampp just fine.

Read the oscommerce knowledgebase, www.oscommerce.info , and also click on Basics for osc 2.3+ design in my signature for some basic info.

Oscommerce is not an .exe install..its a web/browser based install (php) so you should be able to install it on MAC and xampp just fine.

Read the oscommerce knowledgebase, www.oscommerce.info , and also click on Basics for osc 2.3+ design in my signature for some basic info.

Thanks for your signature links. I did read the www.oscommerce.info. I'm pretty slow. I wish osCommerce had a basic DFD the kind you'd show a manager. The intro is too basic. Then the next basics are posts on how to change the oscom header (already into programming. I'm not exactly sure what the big picture is. It would be cool to see a DFD of a customer clicking on a shopping cart and see how each program processes/touches this event (minus sending the purchase out. Only from what the developer creates to make the transaction work, xampp, oscom, the developers pc, the internet for both test and production environments.)

For sure you can't do anything with oscom without xampp as Geo posted. I've downloaded xampp but I also see no basic info on their site. I have no idea how the two interact. But apache has a warning that xampp has no security so be careful. I don't know what I'm opening my mac up to after the install?

thAnks for the help!

Doug,

You can work on an internet server while building your store. I DON'T use XAMMP for development, I have a development server. I know some developers use XAMMP but I have always found the site looks/ acts slightly different online than it does on your local machine. Especially if you are using shared hosting services that have 'fixed' server parameters.

Chris

Doug,

You can work on an internet server while building your store. I DON'T use XAMMP for development, I have a development server. I know some developers use XAMMP but I have always found the site looks/ acts slightly different online than it does on your local machine. Especially if you are using shared hosting services that have 'fixed' server parameters.

Chris

you guys are pros. i'm just getting into it and have no server, no development server. i'm going to install xammp now. thanks for the help!

in phpmyadmin

at " Create new database: " I have No privileges in red right under and I can't click it.

any idea where i messed up?

google these keywords results in hits talking about this in 2005, 2007 but see no answers. In all my google while installing xampp and osc most all the hits are from at least 5 years ago.

Check who you are logged in as.

Have a look at priviliedges and see if the person you are logged in as is allowed to create dbs.

you can go to http://localhost/security/index.php and see if there is a password set up for the user root.

HTH

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

Check who you are logged in as.

Have a look at priviliedges and see if the person you are logged in as is allowed to create dbs.

you can go to http://localhost/security/index.php and see if there is a password set up for the user root.

HTH

G

hi geo, i just posted this on apache forum so i'll post it here in case someone else has this case. see edit at end. i've been using Firefox all this time so i tried Safari and i've gotten in phpMyAdmin and able to Create data base and have Privilege settings which logging in with Firefox do NOT allow! same username same password.

------------------------

all the demos work EXCEPT for:

CD Collection

Warning: mysql_connect() [function.mysql-connect]: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO) in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/xampp/cds.php on line 64

Could not connect to database!

Is MySQL running or did you change the password?

using FIREFOX this happens -

then in phpMyAdmin i cannot create a database. cannot select option:

Create new database:

No Privileges

thank you for any advice!

Control panel has green light on

Apache

MySQL

FTP

MySQL database ACTIVATED

PHP ACTIVATED

Perl ACTIVATED

Common Gateway Interface (CGI) ACTIVATED

Server Side Includes (SSI) ACTIVATED

These XAMPP pages are no longer accessible by network for everyone SECURE

MySQL is no longer accessible over the network SECURE

The phpMyAdmin user pma has no longer no password SECURE

The MySQL user root has no longer no password SECURE

The FTP password for user nobody is no langer 'xampp' SECURE

---------------------EDIT------------------------------

i just tried using Safari and got in to be able to Create new database

at the phpMyAdmin login screen

i enter

Username: root

Password: which i set some where installing yesterday but i wrote it down

and i'm in and able to Create new database

Safari gives same mysql error above when running the CD Collection Demo

but using

Firefox the same Username and Password don't allow - No Privileges

If you have created the db in safari then you should be able to use that name during the local install.

db name xxxxxxxx as created using safari

user root

paswword as written down

Should all work fine.

Cheers

G

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

i finally got xampp mac osx completely installed properly. i have osc 2.3.1 installed with a database created. i get to the osc create shop screen but i didn't create anything yet. i hope i have time to gather what i did and post it.

• 1 month later...

I hove installed oscommerce 2.3. Ith the aid of XAMPP I opened the store using the oscommerce test database. The store is working perfectly allright EXCEPT IMAGE LINKS ARE NOT WORKING and no images are showing up. Later I tried accessing the images using browser ( chrome and explorer) - the link says server error ( when I see the path of the imges the are correctly located).

Request , kindly let me know the how to make the images showup.

Archived