• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Digital files download

mrbassfret

Hi

I'm trying to sell my own music material through osCommerce, I'm having trouble getting osCommerce to show the Download button after the customer has paid.

I'm testing this on my own as a customer, the payment goes through but no download button is available.

I have been searching this forum and the net for a week finding solutions similar to my situation, however, none of those solutions worked for me.

I have a PayPal merchant account active and working, I have also modified my servers' files ( [catalog]/...) so many times now I don't know what to do.

Would any body have a suggestion I can follow? I'm doing this on my own without programming experience or knowledge so I would appreciate any guidance in as much details as possible.

I'm even having trouble to figure out the full download path name for the files to be downloaded

is it www.mydomain.com/catalog/download/filename.zip? or am I missing more to the path name?

I'm totally clueless on this subject, please any help

Thanks

Andres,

You don't need to know the download path, as long as your configure.php file is set up correctly. If you are using the default download controller, I suggest you upgrade it and use the Super Download Store contribution to enhance your downloadable files security. Also, ensure you use 'auto return' in PayPal to send your customers back to your website after they make payment.

Chris

Without super download store you may have to manually update every download order in your orders page as the order status might stil be as pemnding or something similar and not available.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks for your replies!

I have tried using the super download contribution, I've followed the installation guide that comes with it (manual install) to no success.

I'm still in early stage so I don't mind if I have to reinstall osCommerce again. Should I do that?

If I do that then I should:

install osCommerce

install super download (manually?)

configure paypal checkout express

configure "catalog/products"

now... as for the files to be downloadable, how exactly

do I configure the product page?

does the "manufacturer" option make any difference? do I need it?

I would like the file name to appear with its proper space and caps, do I need to specify the ".zip" extension or only in the URL path?

what other configuration should I make sure of?

Again thank you very much for your help

Cheers!!

Thanks for your replies!

I have tried using the super download contribution, I've followed the installation guide that comes with it (manual install) to no success.

I'm still in early stage so I don't mind if I have to reinstall osCommerce again. Should I do that?

If I do that then I should:

install osCommerce

install super download (manually?)

configure paypal checkout express

configure "catalog/products"

now... as for the files to be downloadable, how exactly

do I configure the product page?

does the "manufacturer" option make any difference? do I need it?

I would like the file name to appear with its proper space and caps, do I need to specify the ".zip" extension or only in the URL path?

what other configuration should I make sure of?

Again thank you very much for your help

Cheers!!

I'd also like to know the ins and outs of the Super Download Store as I don't know which files to replace or delete, seeing as oscommerce is working fine and I've spent a lot of hours uploading my products. I know there's a back-up and I use it frequently, but installing SDS *over the top* of oscommerce?

I can't see how it'll work and I don't want to destroy my work so far.

I too say thank you very much for this forum and to everybody's help, I'm grateful. Cascade

Hi, Thanks for all this info.

I did a clean install of osCommerce and then upgraded to the super download shop by following the instructions to the letter.

Now what I get is an error at the moment paypal is processing the payment that says "The field Shipping Address State is required". I have checked my paypal account without any luck. I don't know what or where to check for this, any suggestions? So the payment doesnot complete the cycle therefore I don't know if I'll get a download link after payment has been received.

I'll tell you, for someone like me, without any knowledge, this osCommerce system is far too complex and i get lost too easly smile.png

Andres

Andres,

This is a set up issue with osCommerce, not an issue with the SDS contribution. In the admin area under configuration>> customer details, turn on the State requirement.

Chris

Thank you Chris :) That solved the Shipping State Required detail and the payment process goes through :) ...

Now, (AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!) sorry about that, I needed to silently scream my frustrations....

The payment goes through but I'm not getting a download button or link or page or message or email...

I have followed the instruction to install SDS, Ihave checked the order status and it was still at "pending"

Under Config / Download, the download is set to TRUE and as per instructions the redirect is set to FALSE

GZip comp is set to TRUE

Under Localization / Order Status, I have set the download available at "Download avail..." and "updated" options,

the rest are disabled.

Is there another place to configure this?

I don't have anything set up in the "Attributes" should I work on that?

Thanks for your time

Andres

I ask this everytime someone has a problem with downloads.

What is the status of the order that contains the download.

Did you include the file extension in the filename for the download ie filename.zip and was the filename types exactly as the name of the file in the downloads folder.

Has the file been transfered to your pub folder in your root directory. It should be an encrypted name which you can open as see.

Thank you all for your input on this,

I have checked everything as suggested by both you and the installation instructions.

I'm as far as being able to process payment but without the "Download" option.

The only thing I'm not sure how to configure is the "product/attributes" page

could you please guide me as to the settings of this?

Again, I appreciate your time and effort to help me (there must be something I'm not getting right)

the following is the paypal settings in oscommerce

Transaction Server

Live

Transaction Method

Sale

PayPal Account Optional

True

PayPal Instant Update

True

PayPal Checkout Image

Static

Debug E-Mail Address

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Order Status

PayPal Transactions Order Status Level

Download Now Available

is this right?

This is "Localization/OrderStatus"

Download only enabled on the "Download now enabled"status,

"Processing" status is the default at this moment

is this right?

As I mentioned, the Products/Attributes is empty

how do i set this up?

Andres

To set up your attributes click on atributes in your catalog section in your admin.

in the product options area create a new option called download if it is not there.

Then in your option values area create an option for the download. Call it something like zipped folder.

Then in the product attributes area you need to click on the product that you wish to have the download associated with using the drop down list, then in the option name area click on download, then in the option value area click on zipped folder. In the file name area enter the exact name of the file as loaded in your downloads folder plus the file extension. ( there is an addon called download file helper that will help with this) Then add a price if needed or leave this blank. Then click insert.

Go to the product in your store and you should have a drop down box with the download listed. Add the item to your cart and complete the checkout.

If you are still having trouble with paypal try removing the module now that super download is addded, and then reinstall the module.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I installed SDS to be able to add downloadable MP3s to my shop, but I am confused about a couple things. One, when I checkout, it charges me for shipping. I use a table rate for shipping, so how do I set things up so that it doesn't charge shipping for digital downloads?

Then, once an order is placed and paid for, how does the customer get the download?

Thanks for any help!

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

--King Crimson (“Discipline”)

Hi,

I installed SDS to be able to add downloadable MP3s to my shop, but I am confused about a couple things. One, when I checkout, it charges me for shipping. I use a table rate for shipping, so how do I set things up so that it doesn't charge shipping for digital downloads?

Then, once an order is placed and paid for, how does the customer get the download?

Thanks for any help!

I forgot to mention that I placed a test order (paid shipping and everything) and then updated the order to 'download now available' in admin, but the email I received as a customer, with the updated status, did not have any link to download the file.

What am I missing here? Thanks!

I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself...

The download link is available within the customers order history, not included in any emails. The email should include a link to the customers order history.

If you use super downloads this will automatically update the customers order once payment has been made and allow a download to be available when the customer returns to the checkout sucess page.

@@jailaxmi

I forgot to mention that I placed a test order (paid shipping and everything) and then updated the order to 'download now available' in admin,

If you had to do this manually, then you installed SDS incorrectly.

Chris

Thank you, guys!!! Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your replies, but for some reason my account took f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get re-validated after I changed my email address...

Anyway, I will review my installation to make sure I catch what I missed, but I am still having an issue with the shipping charges. Is there any way to set it up so that there are no shipping charges if the customer only buys a digital product? Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Yol

Ok, so the shipping charges issue has been resolved (my bad!), but I can't seem to find where I messed up regarding the automatic order update. Maybe I didn't set it up right? I added a “Download available” status and that's what I've been changing the order status to manually, because the default order set up is “processing” (then it switches to “shipped” when the order goes out).

Should I set this up differently so that customers can order downloads and/or physical products and get their downloads as soon as their payment goes through? Or do you have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Yol

Did you add all the sql files using phpmyadmin.

I did.

Archived