• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Forum Constantly Unavailable !

I don't know if the forum problems are regional or if everyone is experiencing problems, but I get this error message several times per day.

An error occurred with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with IP.Board but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

Anyone else having problems with the forum server ????

Chris

Aside from whatever the cause is of the constant DB outages, I do not see the point of an error message telling forum viewers to contact the webhost with a copy of the error message.

- Stop Oscommerce hacks dead in their tracks with osC_Sec (see discussion here)
- Another discussion about infected files ::here::
- A discussion on file permissions ::here::
- Site hacked? Should you upgrade or not, some thoughts ::here::
- Fix the admin login bypass exploit here
- Pareto Security: New security addon I am developing, a remake of osC_Sec in PHP 5 with a number of fixes
- BTC:1LHiMXedmtyq4wcYLedk9i9gkk8A8Hk7qX

Aside from whatever the cause is of the constant DB outages, I do not see the point of an error message telling forum viewers to contact the webhost with a copy of the error message.

I agree Te, it is kind of redundant.

Chris

Harald,

I have been getting the error over the past week or so. I thought it was a 'glitch' but the frequency has been increasing.

Chris

I've seen this a few times. A reload has always worked, so I just ignored it.

The interesting thing is that the part of the warning box that is supposed to contain the error message is always blank. Secure, certainly, but hardly useful.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

When it happens, it will usually load after a few minutes (the few times I tried) so it might be a server limit is being reached and has to reset, which usually takes about that long.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The server was down from 10:13pm EST to 10:36pm EST with the following error messages:

503 Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

When I tried to refresh 5 minutes later I received this one:

SQL Error

An error occured with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with IP.Board but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

«Return to the index

When the server came back online this was the current load:

381 users are online (in the past 60 minutes)

12 members, 369 guests, 0 anonymous users

Theres a screen cap of the error

http://i40.tinypic.com/10ge4vs.png

You can see from http://goo.gl/OvScT that this is not an isolated issue. 9,240 results.

The outage lasts a couple of minutes, hinting that this is possibly a max sessions thing of some form.

- Pareto Security: New security addon I am developing, a remake of osC_Sec in PHP 5 with a number of fixes

In recent weeks I frequently try to make a post, and the browser spins and spins for 10 or 15 minutes before giving up. I don't know if this is the same problem others are seeing. If I retry, sometimes it does the same thing and sometimes I get the message about "The server is temporarily unable to service your request" or "This is not a problem with IP.Board but rather with your SQL server". It's not a freak event... BTW I'm in New York.

Noproblem posting but do get thrown out of the chat romm in lees than an hour

You have been kicked from the chat room

Cheers

G

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

It will take a while I suspect, for IP.Board to acknowledge that this is their issue. At the moment it seems many of the other discussion threads on this topic on the range of IPB forums tend to invariably end up pointing the finger at database connection, sleep state and issues rather than themselves. I am not a forum member of IPB so cannot see all that is happening on their support forums, but that is what I can see from reading the cached pages from Google searches.

Noproblem posting but do get thrown out of the chat romm in lees than an hour

You have been kicked from the chat room

Cheers

G

This time limit has been set up by the forum moderators. It is listed on the chat room rules pages as you enter the chat area.

Chris

This time limit has been set up by the forum moderators. It is listed on the chat room rules pages as you enter the chat area.

Chris

Did you miss my point

lees than an hour

must have been my "speelink".

Cheers

G

Inactive members are automatically departed from the chat room after 6 hours.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

This seems to be happening at the same time every day -- about two hours before the daily maintenance downtime. Usually it's the database error message, but sometimes it's a 500 series server error. I'd be looking at what happens around this time. Is it the heaviest load on the server (It appears not to be.) Is there some process running at this time, like a backup?

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

This seems to be happening at the same time every day -- about two hours before the daily maintenance downtime. Usually it's the database error message, but sometimes it's a 500 series server error. I'd be looking at what happens around this time. Is it the heaviest load on the server (It appears not to be.) Is there some process running at this time, like a backup?

Regards

Jim

I have the same feeling Jim....I usually run into it around 10:00 - 10:30 pm EST. At other times I see pauses when it calls the ad network but a refresh usually solves that.

Dan

Hi All..

There is indeed a backend process that runs at 04:00CET (22:00EST) that reindexes the search database for the forum (powered by Sphinx).

I will investigate this further over the weekend.

Thanks to all who narrowed this to a timeslot!

Kind regards,

:heart:, osCommerce

Hi All..

The main Sphinx indexer has been hitting the server hard and has been the cause of the downtime. It was taking 36 minutes to retrieve and index over 1.5M forum postings from the database.

This task has been disabled until a solution is found. Until this task is active again, edits to older posts will no longer be indexed and shown in search results (which should not be much of an affect anyway).

Thanks again for helping to pinpoint the issue.

Kind regards,

:heart:, osCommerce

Archived