• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help with sales on site

Just for the record, the change I suggested did fix the major SSL problem.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

You still have some empty information pages, and those that are complete are badly written. Get those sorted. Enter your stone address somewhere. People will not buy where they cannot see where the shop is.

Your product descriptions could contain a bit more info. Use html code to add a bit of style to them.

You have lots of 'image not available' images, get proper images uploaded.

Get your euro currency sorted. The symbol is missing from all prices.

If you are using live help, you must be there. Everytime i looked at your site it said you were offline. That will not help.

Move the images in your footer so that they at least centre on the page. They look silly tucked up to the bottom left of the page.

You should have some sort of site map. There are addons available that will add a site sitemap and also some for a xml sitemap for search engines. Once you have a completed xml sitemap submit to google and let other search engines know its there.

Get your site listed in directories and create backlinks.

Read up on seo, both onsite and off site.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

is there an add on to do something with the descriptions that I can change all of them or shorten all of them I am going to be adding a sitemap tonight I am getting listed and backlinks I use a company to do that type of stuff

other then those thing is there anything else I could do to increase sales

thanks for everyone advice it has been very helpfull

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have fixed everything that was mentioned from everyone can someone tell me if that is all I need to do to my site. I am trying to turn my visits into sales not sure what else I can do to try to do that.

Thanks for all the help

Try shopping your own site, but this time use Internet Explorer instead of Firefox.

Fix all the broken images and "unsecure items" (on SSL pages). Fix the links at the top of the page that should be using SSL but aren't.

You might not use IE but a large per centage of your customers will.

If the site doesn't look and function in a professional manner they're probably going to shop elswhere.

I know I would.

That is, unless you're giving things away...

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

Your shipping and returns page is still rubbish. That would put me off for a start. Compare your privacy page with your conditions page. Keep the formatting the same. Your product pages could still do with a bit of formatting.

I looked, but couldnt find your business address. That will put people off.

If i was you, i would take a bit of time and have a look at your local competitors sites, then look at some of the major players websites. If you think your site is as good, if not better than theirs, you should have it cracked. Now all you have to do is to spend a bit of time working on your onsite seo, get onto at least the first few pages of search engines for your chosen search terms.

You are in a very competitve market, so what you need to do is to spend a bit of money advertising in magazines, papers and the like to actually get customers to come to your site. You have google analyctics on your site, use that data, thats why its there.

Check your create account page, its layout in ie9 is all over the place, try and line things up, and do you really need the dob field.

Why do you have two currencies boxes. Only one must be required.

In your business most product manufacturers have good product descriptions, why dont you use those as the basis for yours. Add a lot more product details and specifications, and format then so they are not just a block of text as you have now.

Finally apart from altering the design, because it does not look high tech or professional enough, i would try and sort some of your duplicated metatag info. Its only needed once, and many people would say it isnt needed. I used to sell custom computers and accessories in the UK and its a hard market to survive in. I did have the advantage that i bought most of my products in bulk, so could afford to slash prices. (Some of yours do seem a bit high compared to other similar sites). Good luck with your venture.

is there a way to mess with my product descriptions if that all gets added via ftp from a company or is that all up to them I do know about the ssl problem I am tring to fix that. I get alot of visits from Google products and organic visits now I get around 1000 every month I am not sure how else to do the shipping and returns page. for the prices they are not marked up high I will try to lower them down a little.

Looking at just one of your products for example

http://www.techsonhandstore.com/product_info.php?products_id=287269

I searched for the product name in google and the first site that came up was

http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-k90-performance-mmo-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html

Which description would you prefer. And what price.

Also found

http://www.jaksystems.net/index.php/keyboard-mouse/corsair-vengeance-k90-mmo-gaming-keyboard-backlit-keys-usb.html

Whilst i am not saying to copy thier description, surely you can make yours better.

Use a free html editor or add http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7650

let me ask you is there a way to automatically add a better description as I do not add products that is done automatically by a company that does it as there are a lot of products that get changed all the time. or do I have to go and do it myself?

ok i fixed all the info pages

and my ssl works fine now

ass for the descriptions I have to change something like 15,000 of them is there a way for some code to search for a description and replace it with what I have now

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have fixed my info pages and I am working on my descriptions as I have a olt of products is there any other problems with my site that I need to change? And just to put it out there my whole site it running with my ssl as I cant get some of the pages that need to switch to ssl will not

LIke I said earlier, fix the boatload of missing images.

It make the site look very unprofessional.

And making the whole site SSL all the time is a big step in the wrong direction.

That's like putting a band-aid on a severed artery.

Fix the problem, don't cover it up.

- Me -

SSL Implementation Help

I have tried to fix the ssl problem but cant figure out how to do so some of the pages work but others do not

for some reseason the company that uploads all the product info and pictures cant seem to get al the pictures to work

Ok now hows everthing look I do know about the pictures I am working on that

is there anything else I need to or should do to try to get more sales

Ok so I added missing pictures got my ssl fixed is there anything else I can do to improve sales

I am currently updateing my product descriptions. I have to do them by hand and it I have around 15000 products to do

besides that anything that I should fix or add

thanks for all the input I have recieved already

If you have your site the best that you can get it, what you now need to do is to work on your off site and on site seo and marketing. This is a never ending process and needs constant work. Best of luck. Most importantly what you need is patience. It will take ages to get any online shop profitable.

I have just picked the first item from your first category and entered the product name as you have it written into google and searched. There were 5,900 results. I could not see your site in the top 10 pages and gave up after that, as most customers would. You need to figure a way to get your site towards the top of the rankings. The higher the rankings the more your page will be seen and hopefully, as your site is now the best it can be, you will be able to convert visitors into customers. It sound easy, but big business spend a lot of money doing this. I take it you have a small budget for this, so you will be doing it yourself. Learn SEO, there is so much information out there on this subject.

Best of luck.

• 3 months later...

Archived