Photo

I'm a complete idiot. You've been warned.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1   johnnydakota

johnnydakota
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:51

I started out using OScommerce, screwed it up, moved to Zen Cart, Agora, and now I'm back here. I liked OSCommerce the best but I absolutely could not understand how to install modules. All I'm looking for is a module for coupon codes where I can set my own codes and amounts (percentage and dollar amounts) but somewhere along the way after manually altering code, I'd screw up somewhere to the point of no return.

For some reason I just can't understand how and where to download modules. On one it will say to unzip everything in the store's main folder, then go to the admin, modules, and install it. So I unzip the files, log in, modules... It's nowhere. So stupid question #1, do I need to individually place each file in the same named folders they come in? For example, if I install a module and it has the folder "catalog/includes/modules/etcetcetc.php", does that mean I need to manually take that file and put it in the "catalog(or whatever my main folder's name is)/includes/modules" folder?

My next question is regarding the add-ons. If there's an add-on from two years ago and one from 2 months ago, do I need to download the first and the last one or just the last one?

Modules/add-ons seem to be my kryptonite. Everything else is pretty straight forward for me.

For what it's worth, I installed OSC from Fantastico on my cPanel.

I appreciate any help. I'm feeling hopeless right now!

#2   johnnydakota

johnnydakota
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:10

Not to mention I just posted this in the wrong forum.

#3   toyicebear

toyicebear
  • Community Sponsor
  • 6,394 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:07

Should be in V2 part of the forum..yes...

Yes..you have to manually upload all the files, import db values and follow any file edit instructions.

Many add-ons are complete in the latest version, but to make it a bit confusing some are not and for those you have to download an earlier version first install it and then do later versions updates 1 by 1.

#4   johnnydakota

johnnydakota
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:26

Yikes. I appreciate the response.

What happens if I have a clean version of osC and one of the code lines I need to change isn't how it is in the install document? I've been seeing that more and more, strangely enough. Is it just that I need to download all of them down the line or even with "full installation" files, I find this.

#5   DunWeb

DunWeb

The Censored One

• Members
  • 13,084 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:50

Johnny,

If you are downloading v2.3.1 contributions for use with your v2.3.1 website, then the code edits should be correct. They will differ if you have contributions already installed or you are using a template.

Chris
:|: Was this post helpful ? Click the LIKE THIS button :|:

See my Profile to learn more about add ons, templates, support plans and custom coding (click here)

#6   johnnydakota

johnnydakota
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:23

Hmm... That's odd. Anyway, I appreciate the help. So far, I'm getting a better hang of things. I have run into a slight snag. I had a clean copy of osC, installed the Discount Coupon Codes mod, specifically Discount Coupon Codes 3.34 for osc 2.31, v3.34 SPPC Mod, PayPal Express Fix, and Paypal IPN send discount coupon amount to paypal kgt...

Now when I have tried to add a product image or delete a product, I am getting the following error:

1146 - Table 'omfgap_osc1.TABLE_PRODUCTS_IMAGES' doesn't exist

select image from TABLE_PRODUCTS_IMAGES where products_id = '29'

[TEP STOP]

My "products_images" table does exist according to mySql but it doesn't show up in the database tables.php file. When I try adding it, it still happens. Try explaining it like I'm a 12-year-old if you can /tongue.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Thank you.

#7   johnnydakota

johnnydakota
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:30

Okay, after adding the table code into includes/database_tables.php and admin/database_tables.php. things seem to be working so far...

Thank you again.

#8   johnnydakota

johnnydakota
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:34

I guess I spoke too soon. Now I have products that I have deleted staying on my shop storefront page. Any advice?