• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce and AS/400 DB2?

ddesatnik

Jeez, talk about some power.

Must be a heck of a store to need a million dollar machine to run an ecommerce shop. Since oscommerce is in PHP, and the AS/400 only reads Cobolt and CL and RPG, I don't think its very practical, though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Actually, the AS/400 does read php using the Apache server:

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/redbooks.n...p3639.html?Open

I work for a software company that has developed our own Distribution package, yes - written entirely in RPG. We want to interface parts of this system to the Web for clients who run our software on their own AS/400 w/ DB2.

We are suggesting osC for "non-distribution" clients who are looking for a "fake" solution but the REAL power of osC coud be when we integrate with our back-end distribution RPG programs using DB2 and the AS/400, to integrate THEIR proprietary inventory databases to oxC, etc...

Has anybody even remotely considered this scenario?

Thanks!

Doug

Not being as familiar with DB2 as I am with Oracle, Sybase, and SQL Server, I don't think that I'm really qualified to answer that.

I'd have to imaginw, though, that it would be very possible using an ODBC driver and a type of command line SQL executable program (such as ISQL).

However, while most of the DB functions in OSC could be easily rewritten to adapt to, say Sybase, using ISQL and here documents, I'm not familiar with a program that can execute AS400 query from a php script. I suppose you could call a Cobol script from a php script if you had to, but that's quite a bit of development.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived