• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

FedEx - Web Services v9

greasemonkey

Yes I realise that is looks like a comment but I don't know why they included it when telling you what to do. I was wondering if it was implying something. You do really need to speak to them and escalate beyond first level support.

First support level. That's where you talk to someone that knows even less than you do about the problem you are having and they put you on hold several times while they go ask someone else? :lol:

I'm starting off nicely with a support ticket and, if I haven't heard anything in 2 hours, I call and I'm not going to be so nice. This postal strike will be on for, at least, another week before they can be legislated back to work. I need another shipping option and a backup, just in case.....

No Good Deed EVER Goes Unpunished

ok, be easy on me, I am not a full blown developer, so somethings just don't make sense to me...I have successfully installed and obtained all the info fron fedex required but no rates (or anything fedex actually)are showing during checkout :( also I did the soap test and it isn't enabled, not sure how to go about enabling. Can someone help me?

Edited by luvubeauty

Did you install the soap_test.php code and dos it tell you if Soap is installed on your server?

No I didn't install the soap_test.php code...it doesn't tell me to install it to my sever...

ok, be easy on me, I am not a full blown developer, so somethings just don't make sense to me...I have successfully installed and obtained all the info fron fedex required but no rates (or anything fedex actually)are showing during checkout :( also I did the soap test and it isn't enabled, not sure how to go about enabling. Can someone help me?

Ok, so I just spoke with my server people, and they said they don't support php soap, but pear soap is already enabled on it. What's the difference???

Ok, so I just spoke with my server people, and they said they don't support php soap, but pear soap is already enabled on it. What's the difference???

I'm in the same boat and the big difference is that pear SOAP doesn't seem to work with the module (or, if it does, I don't know how to get it to work).

They gave me a little snippet of code but didn't say where to put it or how to use it.

This module seems to need php SOAP and I just beat on my ISP to install it.

No I didn't install the soap_test.php code...it doesn't tell me to install it to my sever...

If you read this topic ou will see that there is a program called soap_test.php which you can run to test if soap is working on your server.

Can't you set up the zone module to work with Canada Posts rates?

Canada Post is on a nation-wide strike. No mail or parcels are going anywhere through them.

The Canada Post module still works fine.

Easiest thing to do is change hosting. Use of SOAP is becoming increasingly common in web services so a hosting company that refuses to install it is not eCommerce friendly.

I can't just pick up and switch hosts. I am in a contract in which I have paid for a while. I have lots of different shipping modules that work without a problem right now, if it is just this one, then I will move onto a different add-on, instead of starting fresh.

Can you tell us where that code is suppose to go please?

Do you know what the differences are between pear soap and soap?

Canada Post is on a nation-wide strike. No mail or parcels are going anywhere through them.

Right now, what I am going to do is I changed the text on my shipping page of the Canada Post add-on to read fedex and up'ed the rate up a class or two to cover the additional cost.

I can't just pick up and switch hosts. I am in a contract in which I have paid for a while. I have lots of different shipping modules that work without a problem right now, if it is just this one, then I will move onto a different add-on, instead of starting fresh.

Can you tell us where that code is suppose to go please?

Do you know what the differences are between pear soap and soap?

You need to ask your hosting. How well they respond in a crisis is an indicator of how good a hosting company they are. They don't sound too good to me.

If you don't need FedEx long term then I suggest you do what the other person suggested and adjust the Canada Post handling fee to try and cover any additional costs to send via FedEx.

Or install the old FedEx module.

Right now, what I am going to do is I changed the text on my shipping page of the Canada Post add-on to read FedEx and up'ed the rate up a class or two to cover the additional cost.

Well, if you can figure out a way to do that (don't forget to change the CP logo for the FX logo), you are looking at about a 50% increase in the cost and the options you get from CP aren't going to match the ones from FedEx.

Good luck with that and, if there was another FedEx module that worked, we wouldn't be having this quaint conversation :D

If you don't need FedEx long term then I suggest you do what the other person suggested and adjust the Canada Post handling fee to try and cover any additional costs to send via FedEx.

Or install the old FedEx module.

I adopted the Canada Post module for a while and even modded it to allow people to add a percentage of the shipping as a handling charge, so, I know the code pretty well. What she is going to try and do isn't going to be easy and make it look right.

The old FedEx module won't work because they aren't giving out meter codes for it any more.

Edited by Druid6900

Well, if you can figure out a way to do that (don't forget to change the CP logo for the FX logo), you are looking at about a 50% increase in the cost and the options you get from CP aren't going to match the ones from FedEx.

Good luck with that and, if there was another FedEx module that worked, we wouldn't be having this quaint conversation :D

I only really offer one service with Canada Post nationally, that is expedited. Not hard to change the text, take out the image and up the prices through the canada post profile. Right now i am offering the same cost through fedex as canada post anyways because of the stupid strike until I figure this out. I am still searching and searching for a result.

Oh and my company prices for Fedex are far from a 50% increase which makes it easier to choose what level in the shipping profile on the canada post website

Edited by luvubeauty

I only really offer one service with Canada Post nationally, that is expedited. Not hard to change the text, take out the image and up the prices through the canada post profile. Right now i am offering the same cost through fedex as canada post anyways because of the stupid strike until I figure this out. I am still searching and searching for a result.

Oh and my company prices for Fedex are far from a 50% increase which makes it easier to choose what level in the shipping profile on the canada post website

OK, well, then it may just work well for you. We use CP for everything because the price/performance ratio is much higher (in our experience) than any courier. In the thousands of items we have shipped, CP has never lost or damaged a single one, something I can't say for the couriers we used to have and no longer use.

I honestly don't think it has to do with this whole soap issue. I have two fedex modules added on and nothing is showing up during checkout, no rates, no errors...nothing! Did I miss something? I remember having this issue with the UPS addon but I can't remember what the fix was :(

I honestly don't think it has to do with this whole soap issue. I have two fedex modules added on and nothing is showing up during checkout, no rates, no errors...nothing! Did I miss something? I remember having this issue with the UPS addon but I can't remember what the fix was :(

Well, if you are trying to use the direct API version, it won't work because the meter number you have won't work with it and they aren't giving out any new meter numbers for it as it is being retired.

The web services version is the one that will work, but, it requires the soap extension to work.

Same results, two different causes.

Basically, for the reasons stated above, your hosting computer isn't connecting to the FedEx computer, so, you aren't getting any displayable data back.

Well, if you are trying to use the direct API version, it won't work because the meter number you have won't work with it and they aren't giving out any new meter numbers for it as it is being retired.

The web services version is the one that will work, but, it requires the soap extension to work.

Same results, two different causes.

Basically, for the reasons stated above, your hosting computer isn't connecting to the FedEx computer, so, you aren't getting any displayable data back.

Who's your host?

Since this whole PHP SOAP vs Pear SOAP started, I've been doing a little research and, just FYI, if you have any of the following Endurance International Group owned ISPs, chances you have PHP SOAP compiled into your *ix Apache code is pretty slim. Chances that you'll be able to get them to install it, unless you go to the EIG website and scream long and loud, are slim as well. If you have a Windows server (.asp) you MAY have PHP SOAP Lite which MAY or MAY NOT work with this module. I don't know for sure. You WILL need PHP SOAP for this module to function correctly because FedEx has switched from a API model to a Web Service model. EIG are the hosting equivalent of The Borg. All in one Data Center, all set up the same, and your individual needs are irrelavent, Just the names are different. Look them up....

The ISPs are; www.2slick.com, AccountSupport, www.apollohosting.com, www.berryinfosysllc.com, www.bizland.com, www.bluedomino.com, www.carielweb.com, www.computersconcepts.net, www.dollar2host.com, www.dot5hosting.com, DomainHost, www.easycgi.com, www.ehost.com, www.entryhost.com, www.fatcow.com, www.freeyellow.com, www.globat.com, www.hostaday.com, www.hostcentric.com, www.hostingbyexcel.com, www.hostwithmenow.com, www.hostyoursite.com, www.hypermart.net, IMOutdoorsHosting, www.ipage.com, www.ipower.com, IpowerWeb, www.myresellerhome.com, www.networkshosting.com, www.osullivansystems.com, www.powweb.com, www.purehost.com, www.readyhosting.co.uk, www.readyhosting.com, www.sabapro.com, www.southeastweb.com, www.spry.com, www.startlogic.com, www.tighthost.com, www.usanethosting.com, www.VirtualAve.net, www.vpslink.com, www.web2010.com, www.webdevhosting.com, www.webhost4life.com, WebstrikeSolutions, www.xeran.com, YourWebHosting, www.zipitdesigns.com

This list is from 04/2010 and they have "acquired" several more hosting providers since then. The names without a www or .whatever are dead and gone.

Even if they do say the will install the extensions, be prepared to wait. I have been waiting, oh, about 32 hours for a 45 minute re-compile.

There ARE other ISPs out there that supply PHP SOAP on all their packages, regardless of price or flavour and that aren't owned by EIG. You just have to look for them. I found the one I'm going to if this takes too much longer.

I hope this list helps to prevent people from beating their heads against the wall trying to get this contribution to work.

The FedEx Direct API module will not work. If you have an account and meter # for it already, it will work until they take it down and you will have to go to the Web Service module (this one) and, if you have one of the above ISPs, chances are you are going to be SOL

Edited by Druid6900

OK, still waiting for them to put the SOAP extension on my server (I don't think they are actually going to do it, but, the ticket is still open, I just haven't heard anything from anyone in 2 1/2 days).

While I was waiting, I went to the EIG website and kicked on their door. Here is what I got back.

Richard,

Thank you for reaching out to us directly with your feedback. I can understand your concern and appreciate the importance this functionality has on your business. I’m going to forward this request to our Product and Engineering department for review and consideration.

As you can imagine, any changes that we make to the infrastructure will have an impact to all customers on the platform. That being said, sometimes we are faced with changes like this that could potentially open us up to a security hole or have other adverse problems to the customer base as a whole. However, you make a persuasive argument that we need to consider very closely.

I can’t guarantee that we will go forward with this change, but I will send you an update as soon as I have more information on the subject.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback,

-Ernie Lopez

Director, Technical Support Department.

Now, I don't know if this is sincere or just a nice "take a hike" reply, but, they are aware of the issue.

However, I'm not sure I care to wait around to find out.

I made a lengthy reply to the above, so, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

OK, latest developments.

Received this e-mail today, which surprised the hell out of me;

Richard,

I’ve had an opportunity to discuss this with my Network team. As it stands, we do have the intention of adding this functionality but we are a month or two away. In essence, we need to recompile PHP and while that is simple enough, the regression testing that goes along with that will take some time. We need to make sure that we don’t have any compatibility issues upon recompile and that means methodically go over everything with a fine tooth comb before going to production.

I can keep you in the loop as far as when we plan to push forward but it will be month or so before we have more info.

-Ernie

Still 1 to 2 months away from PHP SOAP on the EIG servers, HOWEVER, I am working with some of their technical staff to get this module implemented correctly on servers with PEAR SOAP, for now.

When they mod and test the code (I'm not a coder) and I test it on my site (no PHP SOAP) and see if it works or not, I will not only let you know, I will bring the modded code back here for others that are have the same problem as I (and others) are.

There is a good chance that Mr. Lopez will give this effort his blessing and we'll have it sooner rather than later.

Edited by Druid6900