55 replies to this topic

#21   Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald Ponce de Leon

Healthy Giraffe

• Core Team
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 22:09

Hi All..

Last changes are still being performed - v3.0 will be released in a few hours.

Kind regards,
Harald Ponce de Leon

#22   justinswaa

justinswaa
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 22:40

Mark,

I am a realist, creating something that only a handful of hosting companies can provide hosting services for is absolutely ridiculous. It's like building a car that requires moon rocks as fuel. There are about 12 on earth right now, the other 9 million potential automobile purchasers will have to wait for them to become available.

I believe the development team should have set their requirements a little lower, perhaps PHP 5.2 so perhaps the majority of osCommerce users can update and take advantage of the new features and stronger code base that will available.

Chris

I'm very grateful for all of the work that you guy have done, but I have to agree with this. I've used several hosts and my current one is more up to date than most and they're not even at 5.2. My only option now is to spend a lot of time upgrading to v2.3.1 which is obsolete as far as the developers are concerned so no more bug or security fixes and more sleeples nights when sites get hacked...

#23   Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald Ponce de Leon

Healthy Giraffe

• Core Team
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 23:20

Hi Justin..

My only option now is to spend a lot of time upgrading to v2.3.1 which is obsolete as far as the developers are concerned so no more bug or security fixes and more sleeples nights when sites get hacked...

v2.3 is still supported. There are no security issues that we are aware of with the release.

Kind regards,
Harald Ponce de Leon

#24   Luyso

Luyso
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 23:32

Mark, do you really live in Hawai??

#25   Taipo

Taipo
  • Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:43

v2.3 is still supported. There are no security issues that we are aware of with the release.

The one that needs addressing at some point is the issue of admin session code injection.
http://www.yoursite.com/admin/index.php?osCAdminID=somefakehashcodehere
A site owner could be tricked into logging in via that link which then would allow an attacker to log in using the same spoofed osCAdminID hash.
- Stop Oscommerce hacks dead in their tracks with osC_Sec (see discussion here)
- Another discussion about infected files ::here::
- A discussion on file permissions ::here::
- Site hacked? Should you upgrade or not, some thoughts ::here::
- Fix the admin login bypass exploit here
- Pareto Security: New security addon I am developing, a remake of osC_Sec in PHP 5 with a number of fixes
- BTC:1BkbNA1tK3q7ZRkCJj6f1ELK2A152eEtoW

#26   mrgg

mrgg
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:44

Hi all,

It is right we ll the OSC V3 at this link :?
-> http://www.oscommerc...tions/downloads
There are an little delay ?

Best reguards,

#27   Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Code Monkey Rockstar

• Core Team
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:43

90% of those webhosting companies would be resellers of the very few "real" hosting companies. So the conclusion is not quite as dramatic as it could be.

Yep totally agree, if you also add VPS / Cloud / Dedicated servers into the mix you are into 1000's of hosting companies as well so I think people jumping up and down saying its wrong to have PHP 5.3 as a minimum requirement are just spreading pointless FUD.

2.3 is also a supported release and will be getting some updates soon to fix some of the known bugs so people have a real choice, stick with the 2.3 series which while its a pain to modify and upgrade will run just about anywhere, or use 3.x which is a little more strict but will be what the future is built on.

Mark Evans
osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------
Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

#28   multimixer

multimixer

Lemons or Melons ?

• Partner
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:53

[...] people have a real choice, stick with the 2.3 series which while its a pain to modify and upgrade will run just about anywhere, or use 3.x which is a little more strict but will be what the future is built on.

Like everywhere, there are conservatives and progressives

#29   rogerwhitfield

rogerwhitfield
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:01

I have taken today off work to spend time installing and assessing V3, will it be released today or should i go to work and re-book the time out for next week?

I think if you provide a countdown you should stick to it, you must have known some days ago that you wern't going to make the deadline, a quick update of the countdown page would have kept us all in the loop.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, because i really do appreciate all the hard work that everyone is putting into this project, but missing your own launch date rather than altering the date is a PR no no.

I upgraded my server to PHP5.3 in anticipation, anyone who rents a root server or cloud server can do the upgrade themselves, it is only those with a hosting account on a shared server that will suffer. If your hosting provider doesn't support 5.3 vote with your feet.

Edited by rogerwhitfield, 01 April 2011 - 06:06.

#30   multimixer

multimixer

Lemons or Melons ?

• Partner
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:16

I have taken today off work to spend time installing and assessing V3, will it be released today or should i go to work and re-book the time out for next week?

I think if you provide a countdown you should stick to it, you must have known some days ago that you wern't going to make the deadline, a quick update of the countdown page would have kept us all in the loop.

I don't want to seem ungrateful, because i really do appreciate all the hard work that everyone is putting into this project, but missing your own launch date rather than altering the date is a PR no no.

I upgraded my server to PHP5.3 in anticipation, anyone who rents a root server or cloud server can do the upgrade themselves, it is only those with a hosting account on a shared server that will suffer. If your hosting provider doesn't support 5.3 vote with your feet.

I'm sorry, but I can not understand this point.

It may be a PR mistake to announce a countdown and then not to keep it, but that's all. Just a PR issue.

Who said that the team members are pr professionals? Do we want them or do we like them because of their PR skills? I think no.

So what do we want from them? To provide a good software, and I think that is exactly what they are doing, I can not think they spend the last hours drinking beer instead of releasing version 3.

For me it doesn't matter if the release delay a little.

#31   Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Code Monkey Rockstar

• Core Team
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:17

If your that desperate to take a look just download it from https://github.com/o...erce/oscommerce there is no need to wait

Mark Evans
osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

#32   osccoder

osccoder
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:54

Hello?

Countdown says "today" and the download is for the alpha version still.

Is OSC v3 finished?

I'm desperate. My sites are being hacked non-stop....

--- OK it is April Fools Day here in the U.S.A. ---
I guess the countdown was to April 1st

On a serious note -- waiting for release with bated breath!
I am sure this new system will be better than fantastic!!

---
Just peaked at the git repository -- A lot of activity and the code looks Greeeeeaaaaaat!
Will check in tomorrow --- Regards all ---

Edited by osccoder, 01 April 2011 - 07:01.

#33   rogerwhitfield

rogerwhitfield
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:20

Thanks Mark, I can now see what is happening on github, and my frustrations are subsiding.

I think I will go to work and re-schedule some time next week.

George - The PR thing was ony an observation not a criticism, the most important thing is always the code, and I have nothing but admiration for the team.

#34   justinswaa

justinswaa
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:52

re php versions: as my ISP has correctly informed me, they won't upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 yet as it would break a lot of scripts for a lot of people...

Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?

#35   multimixer

multimixer

Lemons or Melons ?

• Partner
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:57

There is no.

Either change the host or don't use v3

#36   Mark Evans

Mark Evans

Code Monkey Rockstar

• Core Team
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:24

There was no way we could be backwards compatible and move the codebase forward enough to be a good base for the future. As I've said a few times recently, if your not a developer don't use v3.x for now, 2.3 is a supported released and will receive more updates to keep the general userbase busy.

If you really want v3.x then you pay a little more per month and get a VPS, there are 1000's of companies offering them which will give you PHP 5.3.

Supporting every shared hosting company out there will do nothing but hold everyone back

Mark Evans

#37   pdcelec

pdcelec
  • Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:26

re php versions: as my ISP has correctly informed me, they won't upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 yet as it would break a lot of scripts for a lot of people...

Its called progress. If people thought the same when cars were invented, we would still be riding horses.

#38   multimixer

multimixer

Lemons or Melons ?

• Partner
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:42

[...]if your not a developer don't use v3.x for now[...]

Only for developers...., that's fine, for now.

Let's hope it will not turn out to be only for Hawaiians /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

#39   Harald Ponce de Leon

Harald Ponce de Leon

Healthy Giraffe

• Core Team
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:49

Hi All..

Here's the official download link! Special for community members ;-)

http://www.oscommerce.com/get/1

This will be added to the website and Countdown site within an hour. The newsletter will be published tonight.

I'll be active on the forum over the weekend helping everyone out :-)

We just reached the largest milestone in our history, and now there's even more work to do! :-)

Enjoy!
Harald Ponce de Leon

#40   multimixer

multimixer

Lemons or Melons ?

• Partner
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 08:50

I got it /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />