• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Dealing with international shipping

qxonn

Hello everyone,

Hope this isn't too off-topic for this forum, but I have to ask: How do you (if it applies to your store) deal with customs fees and the taxes / duties, etc for international orders? Do you use a 3rd party to ship out your merchandise for an additional fee your customer pays, do you use a site or a tool online that helps you determine what additional charges need to be made? In general, what options are out there for e-commerce companies that need to ship international? As an industrial supply company, we ship some very large items that require freight, if it matters. Personally, I'm trying to find answers to the folks in our company that are working on this and am a bit in the dark. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks for your time. Best,

Matt

Matt,

It has always been my experience that the importer is responsible for all taxes, duties and brokerage fee's applied to international shipments. I have set up several sites in the past and apart from the inclusion of the customs paperwork with the proper tariff code and the name of the purchasers Broker, the shipper usually does not collect anything else from the purchaser other than the purchase cost and perhaps the shipping costs.

Chris

• 11 months later...

I'm interested in this subject.

I am based in the UK. If I ship abroad I would imagine that the postage would be higher therefore I would want to add an extra charge for people from other countries to cover the cost.

In OSComms default configuration I can't remember seeing an area where this can be set if indeed it can.

@@DunWeb Can't say I understand.

If you add a new zone under the "locations/Taxes" menu item, the dropdown only allows you to chose a single country. So it wouldn't be possible to add International here.

You can also add a new Tax zone under the same menu, which creates a directory into which you may add "All countries", then under menu item "modules" you can add a flat rate for the UK (Or wherever) and use table rate for international - It's a bit confusing because of the "tax" terminology, however this seems to have no effect (At least when I tried it) during the checkout procedure for an international customer.

Have a look at the Multi Geo Zone Multi Table (MGZMT) contribution / option.

It allows setting different shipping rates for whatever countries you specify.

I am also UK based and use this for shipping within the UK and Overseas...

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

@@AndrewRavenwood

Look at it again.

You can create as many zones are you want (USA, CANADA, Australia, etc etc etc)

Then, decide what shipping method you want to use for international orders, I would personally suggest installing Multigeozone Multi Table shipping or Multi Flat Rate Shipping and then assign each new shipping method, one of the zones you just created.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Matt

I live in South Africa, the issue here is that most items get intercepted en route (and even if by courier sometimes), so always use a courier with insurance to South Africa!

@@All - I have some good contacts with courier company so if anyone needs pricing or help shipping to this part of the work ... just ask me.

J.

Okay, I'll look at the options you mention. It's not something that's vitally important at this time but it would be nice to nail it down.

Thanks for your assistance :)

As you are in the UK have a look at the royal mail postal add on. It has several zones already loaded for international postage and allows you to add and adjust the delivery costs. The add on is for 2.2 but i have it installed and working on my 2.3.1 test site. http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/4473

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived