• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Question for managing large site

mikeyhchen

Hi, I have been trying out osCommerce (2.2 snapshot) for a couple days. This is much better than some commercial products. However, I am having some problems with the admin site, and want to know if I'm missing something, or someone has found a way around it. I have a site selling 9000 products, with a category tree of about 250 nodes (current site is live using yahoo store). it seems like some of the features are difficult to manage using the admin site. for example, categories.php runs very slow. i found out that categories.php always traverse the category tree to find # of child categories/products. so if i'm in the top node of the category tree, basically 250+ queries are performed. i did some hacking and disabled that part of the code. now the page load speed is fine. but then i ran into a bigger problem, which i'm hoping someone can point me to the right direction. about 1500 products i sell require customer to choose an option before they make the purchase. depending on the option they choose, the price is different. i realize this is a built in function in osCommerce. however, products_attributes.php runs very slow. since i have 9000+ products, for each product attribute row, it loads an <select> tag with 9000 options. i thought about hacking some more to make the products_id field into a text box so it wouldn't load the big <select> tag. however, even if i solve the <select> tag problem, managing attributes for 1500 products using the current products_attributes.php module may be rather difficult. i thought of 2 options: 1. write a mod for managing product attributes. 2. make each product attribute an individual product so i don't have to use the products attribute module. any suggestions?

Thanx.

I ran into a similar problem. I'm running the TEP2.1, which I think is pretty old now, and my client has about 700 items to put into this store. I wrote a small admin tool that allows him to take the text dump of his current database and put that information into the new one. In this case it's for clothing, so I had to come up with a few different tools. Instead of choosing every color and every size for every jersey in the TEP admin (which amounts to roughly 25 different options per item, totalling over 1500 "transactions" for the site), I made a category tool to assign categories to items in bulk, as well as the same thing for size and color. So with a little effort, you could easily write something that makes the initial input into the store easier.

I hope that provides at least a little insight...

-j

i found out that categories.php always traverse the category tree to find # of child categories/products.  so if i'm in the top node of the category tree, basically 250+ queries are performed.  i did some hacking and disabled that part of the code.

I'm sure you did :shock: But why not set the Show Category Counts option to false in admin>Configuration>My Store :)

Christian Lescuyer

Archived