• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The results from Google's latest crawl are in!!

wizardsandwars

I have used "urlencode" but does anyone know how to get " _ " instead of " + ".

str_replace(" ", "_", $this_products_name)

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya

Wizards < i have checked your site and I didnt find the fake URL's in either index.php or allprods page.

But when I type Buy unreal II in google, it shows the Fake URL

On the other hand, i have changed all my URL's in allprods page programmatically.

here you can check it out

http://www.arabianbazaar.com/allprods.php

Farruka,

Excellent, have you put this together as a contribution?

Can I borrow your code?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Hey wizardsandwars,

that software you mentioned " the page critic "

is that usefull for me to get?

How many more hits have you been getting since you got that software and followed there helpful tips to improve your ranking for google? and how much higher did you get into the search results for google?

I downloaded the demo, and I think its great, and I want to make sure its worth getting.

thanks

digi

*Outlined in chalk everone looks the same*

Currently useing OSC 2.2 MS1

running on Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) (Red-Hat/Linux) mod_jk/1.2.0 mod_perl/1.26 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2 mod_ssl/2.8.12 OpenSSL/0.9.6b

Well, honestly, the demo is all I used to get ranked.

My rankings were no where in the top 35 pages before. Now, all of my products are on the first page.

My hits have increased by about 30%. A significant increase for sure, but after 1 week with top rankings, not as much as I had hoped. I gues I should't look a gift horse in the mouth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Well, honestly, the demo is all I used to get ranked.

My rankings were no where in the top 35 pages before. Now, all of my products are on the first page.

My hits have increased by about 30%. A significant increase for sure, but after 1 week with top rankings, not as much as I had hoped. I gues I should't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Patience is a VIRTUE ;)

:!: Don't spend your money before you have it in your hands (AFTER TAX ;) )

Robert

We all need to learn it once, how hard it may seem when you look at it, also you will master it someday ;)

Change your line to read like this if you have installed the allprods contribution: (around line 96 on allprods.php) I am using version 1.7

echo " <a href="" . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $this_products_id . (($this_language_code == DEFAULT_LANGUAGE) ? '' : ('&language=' . $this_language_code)) . ('&photo=' . $this_products_name), 'NONSSL', false) . "">" . $this_products_name . "</a><br>n";

I am using this on a photography website so my product name variable is being passed as photo. You will see in the code above this included as ('&photo=' . $this_products_name). You can change the variable of photo to read however you like ie. &item, &dummyvariable etc. I used photo for the very reason discussed in this forum...to load as many keyworkds for my site as possible into the URL.

This is a very simple fix.

Should work for everyone but no guarantees.

You can see this on my site if you must, http://www.davidedmonson.com/shop/catalog/allprods.php :wink:

When you mouse over the product links and/or view source, you will see how it works. Clicking on the link takes you to the product page with % replacing the spaces in file names. Other special characters within your product name like if have apostrophe's in your name will crap out so DON'T USE THIS!!! Go back to hard coding your links instead.

I have been lurking up a lot on this matter of SEO for OSC.

I have been particularly interested in this mainly because I have a client bashing my head apart like it was a pinata during cinco de mayo because they are not selling tons or product nor do they have like 100's of visitors coming to them.

This mod is just amazing but I modified the code slightly to include the SID Killer just to make sure everything would work out alright.

I was looking particularly at keyword density before and after this mod with what I already had and it wasn't working out well at all but the minute I updated the URL with the item name and META data from CRE5 it was like ZOOM!

This is the change I did for the SID Killer inclusion part.

echo " <a href="" . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $this_products_id . (($this_language_code == DEFAULT_LANGUAGE . '&kill_sid=true') ? '' : ('&language=' . $this_language_code)) . ('&photo=' . $this_products_name), 'NONSSL', false) . "">" . $this_products_name . "</a><br>n";

(Yes I did change out the keyword of photo for one of my own)

If anyone has any objections as to why this wouldn't work then please let me know. You can also lob keyless grenades in my direction.

I'd like to send out special thanks to Harald,Ian,Linda,Loxly and Oishf7 and the team of OSC for making my life easier...

Oh this isn't the Oscars :P

I didnt use this sid killer - But I used a better method, (not including sid kill) that will automatically replace spaces with under scores to make sure everything was ok.

$cropped_name = str_replace(" ", "_", $this_products_name);

echo " <a href="" . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $this_products_id . (($this_language_code == DEFAULT_LANGUAGE) ? '' : ('&language=' . $this_language_code)) . ('&photo=' . $cropped_name), 'NONSSL', false) . "">" . $this_products_name . "</a><br>n";

Yep yep yep I see where you are going with this.

I have noticed, in the past, a lot of comments (not here exactly) but on different forums that I frequent across this vast medium of instant carnal gratification.....excuse me I meant to say "the net" that say do this and do that for search engine rankings etc.

The one thing though that keeps coming up in my head about this is to use the "%" the "_" or the "-" as the space place holder as, from what I have read, the search engines like google prefer the nifty lil hyphen over anything else.

Does anyone know the _real_ answer to this space placeholder phenomena?

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I think this is a great addition to allprods.php and have added it to my site. I was thinking though... would it be possible to incorporate this code into the product_info.php so that all the product pages would have this as the url instead of just the dummy urls on the allprods.php page?

An example I have is at:

http://www.coins.tv/product_info.php?produ...Buffalo_Nickels

I would love to have that url for the main product page instead of

http://www.coins.tv/product_info.php?products_id=45

Any ideas?

Archived