• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The results from Google's latest crawl are in!!

wizardsandwars

You can check all of your latest listing that Google indexed at www2.google.com (notice the 2)

I'm stoked because all of my products are now listed very very high in a very compeditive market.

For example, if you type in "Buy Unreal II" into www2.google.com, check out where my listing is!!!

I expect these listings to hit the production google site in the next couple of days.

Well, I better go stock up!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic results Chris!

I unfortunately seem to have SID's attached to most of my links even after using EVERY variation of SID killers on the board. :(

I was wondering how you manage to get the text from your description to show in the search results?

I get the stuff from my left column, right column, header and everything BUT the text I want and need to show.

While your description reads:

Buy UNREAL 2 (PC Game) 2/4/03 @ Wizards and Wars

... UNREAL II (PC Game), $49.99 $45.99. ... New PC Game Arrival! 2/6/03 UNREAL II

You are humanity?s only hope for salvation... New PC Game Arrival! ...

I am listed 1,2 & 3 with my sites and that's good but I get results from my pages like;

puretexan.com Texas Rocks, Texas Style

My Information Cart Contents Checkout. Home ? Catalog ? Lone Star Cut

Blue Topaz, My Information | Cart Contents | Checkout. Categories, ...

I suspect it has to do with the way you call your pages. ie "/pc-game.php?name=Unreal_II&products_id=126"

So, care to share how you do this and what SID killer method you are using?

Thanks!

Mr. Ree

How to find answers to OSC Common Questions

1. Look at http://wiki.oscommerce.com

2. Search http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/

3. Post a request in http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/

I tried pullin it up the way you have it listed. This is what I got.

400 Invalid HTTP Request

This Web page could not be opened. Please verify the address, then try again

I got grey hair with osCommerce.

I wouldn't get too excited about what is on www2.google.com (and www3). From what I have read, these are nothing more than test servers and while they might give an inidcation of the new database build, they are not final. I believe Google builds the new database on www2 and www3, and then re-build and tune it, prior to it going live - though I am curious as to why they would do this on a public server.

I did some searches (across the three sites) yesterday and today, and my sites position on main keywords varied, by up to about 8 places. Probably more important is the fact that today, the listings returned by www2 and www3 are a lot more similar to www than they were yesterday.

If anyone wants to run a search against the various Google sites, there is a combined search at:

http://www.google-dance.com/

Jon.

Well, I'm going to stay pretty excited, because all of the listings that were in the www2 site are now on the www site and are still in those top positions.

Very Sweet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Nice little tool you've offered, though.

Thanks!

You can check all of your latest listing that Google indexed at www2.google.com (notice the 2)

I'm stoked because all of my products are now listed very very high in a very compeditive market.

For example, if you type in "Buy Unreal II" into www2.google.com, check out where my listing is!!!

I expect these listings to hit the production google site in the next couple of days.

Well, I better go stock up!!

Congratulations!! That's so great for you.

And, hey, Chris... I have the same question as Mr. Ree, how do you do that name in the url thing?

http://www.wizardsandwars.com/pc-game.php?...products_id=126

That's SO, so great.

Man, I wanna do that. I just noticed my site has #1 listings for some name variations (woohoo! --thank you, Linda!!), but low ones on others. Where it's low, the sites above me *almost always* have the product name in the url.

Mind sharing which contrib(s) you used, or how to code this ourselves?

Thank you! :D

Jon

On a similar note, why do my current listings look like this...

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=222

Similar pages  

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=183

Similar pages  

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=154

Similar pages  

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=212

Similar pages  

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=226

Similar pages  

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=203

Similar pages  

www.facepaint.me.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=168

Similar pages  

I have no descriptions at all!

Many Thanks,

Steve

[quote name="jonAnd' date=' hey, Chris... I have the same question as Mr. Ree, how do you do that name in the url thing?

[/quote]

Hehe, you guys catch on quick. I manually inserted a fake parameter in the URL of my links on my all prods page so that they would be indexed a little higher for that produt. You'll notice I also changed the name of the product_info.php to pc-game.php.

Sneaky, I know.

Steve, this means that those pages did not have proper titles and descriptions.

But surely the titles and descriptions are generated by osc? The title tag is there, but has been missed by Google.

I have been looking for the place where I can enter the description Meta Tag, but without success (general.php, application_top.php, header.php). Can anyone point me in the right direction, as my pages have no Description tag at all at the moment?

Many Thanks,

Steve

Try the Header Tags contribution.

Chris Shares;

Hehe, you guys catch on quick. I manually inserted a fake parameter in the URL of my links on my all prods page so that they would be indexed a little higher for that produt. You'll notice I also changed the name of the product_info.php to pc-game.php.

Oh you are so very crafty & clever Chris!

Thanks a load for sharing this great tip. :P

Mr. Ree

How to find answers to OSC Common Questions

1. Look at http://wiki.oscommerce.com

2. Search http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/

3. Post a request in http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/

Does Google actually use the whole of the url for ranking purposes?

I've read that having keywords in your url helps, but hadn't heard anything about the rest of the url.

The big thing at the moment seems to be getting the keywords in the text string of links on other sites, to your site. It would appear that this can really help rankings.

At the end of the day though, nothing seems to beat content and high quality links.

Jon.

Well, I ran a program called "The Page Critic" which analyses your webpage, and then offers suggestions on how to improve your rankings on which ever Search Engine you select.

One of the many many suggestions that it made was that I should add the keyword or phrase to my URL. When I added this, and ran it again, it said that I met this suggestion.

I can't argue with the results.

you seem to have lost your ranking man.

yesterday and this morning, a search for "buy unreal II" (no quotes, just the text string) and you were #1 on the list... I just searched it again and you are not to be found on the first 20 pages (I didn't look any further).

oddly enough the other links that come up appear to be in the same positions, just moved down a couple notches to make way for the new #1 and #2 spots (and look they are the same site)... but you appear to have been kicked out of the top listings?

you've also lost your #3 spot on the search for "buy warcraft III"... again I couldn't find u listed in any of the top pages...

either google really hates ya now for some reason, or something went wrong on its last crawl...

a look closer shows that the unreal II link has been removed from the main google site (it was there yesterday and this morning):

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=...G=Google+Search

though on www2.google.com, a search for buy unreal II and you are #1 and for buy warcraft III you are #3, for whatever readon google has un-indexed that listing from their main search page. :?

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

Well, that sort of scares me a little, however when I search for the same phrase, I see the same listing in the same top spot.

Here's Unreal II

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...q=buy+unreal+II

Here's Warcraft III

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...uy+Warcraft+III

Anyone else NOT see my listings at the top?

I follow those links and you are nowhere in any of the pages...

here I will post a screen of the results google gives me on the main page (mind you, you were in the top this morning and still are on WWW2, at least from where I stand, google has unindexed your top listing pages from its main site... do I smell some kinda corporate conspiracy?)

here is the screen:

http://www.allthingsnewage.com/temp/google.jpg

your ad is there in the right, but in the actual listings, you've been kicked right out it seems...

- Edmund Burke

well now you are back in the top...

but as u can see from my screenshot, for awhile there, they kicked ya out

- Edmund Burke

also as u can see, from a few minutes ago the search only returned 82,000 results and is now returning 157,000??

guess I must've caught google in the middle of them doing something with the indexes

- Edmund Burke

Either you or I have something cashed, it would seem.

Can anyone else verify this one way or the other?

Whew, man, don't scare me like that.

:lol:

its back again like it was yesterday...

I don't see how I could have something cached though cause yesterday and this morning, you were in the top...

then just not 10 minutes ago, you weren't in the listings at all...

and now you are back in again at the top...

so it can't be something cached... at any rate, you are back in the top it seems...

if u look at my screen, google was only returning 82,000 results to me... but now it returns 157,000 results... nearly half of the results were gone from its database for a period of about 5 to 10 minutes... of coarse, lucky me to be the one to goto google at the exact time they are doing something that would make it do that.

- Edmund Burke

Archived