Photo
- - - - -

OsCommerce v 2.3 - when?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
373 replies to this topic

#361   Hotclutch

Hotclutch
  • Members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:14

In my opinion it is a lot easier to take the 2.3 core files and build your 2.2 mods onto that, than it is to upgrade ( and risk making whatever mistakes). Just figure out the HTML. The admin side is alot easier to convert than the front. How hard that it is depends on what mods you have.

#362   xmanflash

xmanflash
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 12:46

One of them on Linux is application call "meld" it compare files and directories; I'm 100% sure there is equivalent on Windows (and not only one).

I use the Open Source WinMerge http://winmerge.org/ on the PC - it is excellent for comparing whole directories/files etc..

I just wish osCommerce had an update button like the other cart I am enjoying learning at the moment...

I am however enjoying the module style approach of 2.3, I am currently writing a new header tag module for title/description/meta and tags, instead of just the titles.

I plan to extend Osc 2.3, this time leaving the system tables intact and adding a new table for products called products_descriptions_extended, to store data for use with my new modules/files.

Its going to allow me to upgrade the core code without the issues caused by previous core/custom code merges to some degree. If anyone has any thoughts on this approach they would be welcome.

Cheers,
Pete

Edited by xmanflash, 15 November 2010 - 12:47.

#363   blr044

blr044
  • Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 21:10

hello forum

Am curious if anyone has done any modifications like color or working with the background. I created an background image which will extend full width of page. Now in previous ver's, one just went to the stylesheet.css. In using Web Developer, it displays #bodyWrapper .container_24. So enter piece of code as I did with Rc2a. No changes. Finally found container_24 located in ext/960gs/960_24_col.stylesheet.css and type the code there. Still no results.

This is what I entered:
background-image:url('images/brown075.jpg');
background-repeat:repeat-x;

I realize there are some new folders and files, so wondering if I am missing something? Thank you.

#364   pederb

pederb
  • Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 21:10

When using the Facebook button it does not load/show a image of the product?

Example http://foxp2.fr.nf/o.../products_id/29

Any way to fix this?

Cheers

Kool Kat Jazz Records

Edited by pederb, 15 November 2010 - 21:12.

-Peder Beckman-
Kool Kat Jazz Records

#365   totalnumpty

totalnumpty
  • Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:32

@blr044
@pederb

Please start threads in the support and troubleshooting boards - this thread is about core development and release date - you're unlikely to attract the assistance you want by seeking help and support in this topic.

Gaz
Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

#366   blr044

blr044
  • Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:20

@blr044
@pederb

Please start threads in the support and troubleshooting boards - this thread is about core development and release date - you're unlikely to attract the assistance you want by seeking help and support in this topic.

Gaz

Sorry about that. I was assuming this was the correct place.

Edited by blr044, 16 November 2010 - 02:22.

#367   ricardodacosta

ricardodacosta
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:42

Congratulations Harold!!!

I have a highly modified store and would like to know if someone can tell me what the benefits are of upgrading to 2.3

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

#368   spoofy

spoofy
  • Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:29

Congratulations Harold!!!

I have a highly modified store and would like to know if someone can tell me what the benefits are of upgrading to 2.3

Thanks in advance!

Ricardo

If you go back a few pages, this was already answered in detail.

#369   cjb

cjb
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:15

hello forum

Am curious if anyone has done any modifications like color or working with the background. I created an background image which will extend full width of page. Now in previous ver's, one just went to the stylesheet.css. In using Web Developer, it displays #bodyWrapper .container_24. So enter piece of code as I did with Rc2a. No changes. Finally found container_24 located in ext/960gs/960_24_col.stylesheet.css and type the code there. Still no results.

This is what I entered:

background-image:url('images/brown075.jpg');
background-repeat:repeat-x;

I realize there are some new folders and files, so wondering if I am missing something? Thank you.

see here: My link

#370 ONLINE   burt

burt

Vanquisher of Demons

• Community Team
  • 9,556 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:24

Do not make changes to the grid960 stylesheets.

Add a new stylesheet, reference it in the page header and then new ID's or CLASS's for use. Remember you can have muliple classes; http://forums.oscomm...ost__p__1542429

Also you can have a class AND an id at the same time.

<div class="this" id="that">hello</div>

.this {
   background: blue;
   color: white;
}

#that {
   border: 20px solid black;
}

Responsive osCommerce, join in the fun:
http://forums.oscomm...rom-the-get-go/

--
Making your shop better, one osCommerce module at a time - get in touch, or get my newsletter every 1st of the month.

Big Bang Templates for 2.3.4

#371   MrPhil

MrPhil
  • Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 17:35

Also you can have a class AND an id at the same time.

It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Just be aware that CSS has some difficult to understand rules about how cascaded sheets interact and when you have multiple conflicting instances of a property (e.g., multiple colors from different rules and selectors). In general, the more specific a rule is to a given screen element (e.g., an id rather than a class, or a class rather than an HTML tag), the higher its priority. Multiple classes can be a real pain, and not all browsers handle them quite the same (especially if you have a "selector" with multiple classes chained together, e.g., .class1.class2 {...).

Just a "heads up" so when you do something more than very simple CSS, you know that you may have to do some digging to figure out which definition of a CSS property is being applied in a particular case.

#372   FWR Media

FWR Media
  • Members
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 20:26

It's a dessert topping AND a floor wax!

Just be aware that CSS has some difficult to understand rules about how cascaded sheets interact and when you have multiple conflicting instances of a property (e.g., multiple colors from different rules and selectors). In general, the more specific a rule is to a given screen element (e.g., an id rather than a class, or a class rather than an HTML tag), the higher its priority. Multiple classes can be a real pain, and not all browsers handle them quite the same (especially if you have a "selector" with multiple classes chained together, e.g., .class1.class2 {...).

Just a "heads up" so when you do something more than very simple CSS, you know that you may have to do some digging to figure out which definition of a CSS property is being applied in a particular case.

Really nice explanation by mrP here I think.

I have to confess that css hierarchy and priorities are a subject that I really haven't got a full handle on yet. ( note to self )

Chaining classes in a selector for me are a key aspect of css coding especially if you are able to build your own little "reusable framework" to cut down the single use classes. Also fantastically useful when pushing and pulling classes via javascript.

#373   totalnumpty

totalnumpty
  • Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:10

Or you could ditch IE and run FireFox with FireBug installed, and use that for examining the loaded page to identify each element of loaded html and css - it's saved me countless days of head scratching and trial and error.
Wearing a seatbelt prevents head injuries when the computer crashes - - - Yeah Right!!! - not in this office.

#374   xmanflash

xmanflash
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 15:14

Or you could ditch IE and run FireFox with FireBug installed, and use that for examining the loaded page to identify each element of loaded html and css - it's saved me countless days of head scratching and trial and error.

I normally use FF and Firebug, but was suprised the other day to see that IE8 has a 'firebug' style tool built in that is actually quite good.. (for looking at classes etc)

Load a page in IE 8, Hit F12 to load the Developer Tools (DOM Browser), and then CTL+B and click on an element.. /smile.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Microsofts motto.. "If you cant beat them, join them begrudgingly...."