• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Faxing of Order Confirmation

emanresu

In the configuration routine there is the choice to "Send Extra Order Emails To". We use this to send a copy of the order by fax to our warehouse.

Advantages are that you can process the order in one location and have the order shipped from another. Useful if you want a fulfillment service to ship your product.

We use Jfax for the fax line at around $15 per month which also gives you a "virtual" fax number..

Citizen of US Minor Outlying Islands

Hope this is still within the guidelines of this area of the forum... sorry if its a little off.

Emanresu, I was thinking about using Jfax in the same way you described, but had some concerns. At some point I got the feeling (from their literature) they were better setup to handle fax and/or voicemail to email than the reverse. No guaranteed delivery time for email to fax through their gateway was provided. Have you had any trouble with their service, outages, etc.?

Thanks for your reply.

Bill

osC details

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

PHP Version: 4.3.8 (Zend: 1.3.0)

Apache Release 10331100

MySQL 4.0.27-standard

Also what format did you send your emails to fax? HTML or PLAIN TEXT or which way works better in your experience.

Thanks again,

Bill

osC details

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

Apache Release 10331100

MySQL 4.0.27-standard

We've been using Jax for 2 years now.

There can be a delay of up to 30 minutes but its rarely an issue.

We have had an outage of 2 days around 9 months ago but it was sorted and our month's fee refunded. Its no different from owning a fax machine except that we can access our faxes from anywhere (Beijing this year).

As regards text or HTML, I don't have any experience. The fax arrives as a tif file and can be opened by most graphic programmes.

If you want to pm me I'll send you our Jfax number if you want to carry out a test. We will forward the fax back to your by email

Rgds

Sounds pretty good. I'll have to give it a try.

Appreciate the help and information.

Thank you Emanresu

osC details

osCommerce 2.2-MS2

Apache Release 10331100

MySQL 4.0.27-standard

We've been using Jax for 2 years now.

We have had an outage of 2 days around 9 months ago but it was sorted and our month's fee refunded. Its no different from owning a fax machine except that we can access our faxes from anywhere (Beijing this year).

So how do you get faxes if you don't have a fax machine? Does it just print out of your printer?

ok, i checked out their site, so it basically sends a graphic file of the fax to your email. how is this different than just getting an email confirmation in the first place?

also how can you configure osc to send a fax confirmation to an actual fax machine?

Steve, I seem to be confusing you with Jfax.

The service is 2 way. You can send an email which arrives at a fax machine or you can recieve faxes as email on your machine. We do both but as regards OSC you just set up a fax sending account.

When an order is received on one of our sites, the system send 2 emails. The first email is to our office and the send email goes to the the Jax server in the required format e.g. [email protected]. / (country & telephone [email protected])

The conversion to an actual fax is done though the Jfax servers worldwide and is actually sent by them. The cost is about 10 cents for us in the UK and is probably less for you.

The fact we do not have a fax machine is immaterial as we prefer to keep everything on disc.

Hope this helps.

Mario

You'll need a Jfax account. See http://jfax.com.

Once that is set up go to the Admin function / My Store. In the section "Send extra order emails to" you can add

Name 1 <[email protected]>, Name 2 <[email protected]>

When an order is placed you'll get an email confirmation and a fax. You can also set it up to do this

Name 1 <[email protected]>, Name 2 <[email protected]>. The Jfax simply converts the system generated message to a fax which can be sent to any fax number.

If you want to try it out pm me.

I use Lansuite from www.software602.com Its free, has a built in fax server that works with any pop3 cleint. Is two way as well, email (or attachment) converted to fax automatically, or fax comes in and sent email box (or 10 different). I don't get the long distance rates that JFAX has, but I like to have everything in my control. The software is a full featured server web/smtp/proxy/ftp/etc... I just use the fax and email server part. Has a webmail feature as well, so you can send a fax from any browser anytime anywhere.

Archived