• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

USPS Shipping Labels

xiloicta

USPS never sanctioned POSTing to their site as this addon did, they simply no longer accept POST'd data. Unfortunately a different solution will need to be created.

@@Roaddoctor

Are you ses707 on zen? If so then the only issue I see with the export to click n ship business is that they still do not support A and B boxes on that software...I could be wrong...I just checked my installed version. -Wes

Edited by WESK

• 10 months later...

Well, it's been almost a year since anyone has commented on the state of the shipping label issue. Is there a documented, workable fix out there. I'm reluctant to jump into this with both feet for the one client I currently have that wants it.

• 1 month later...

There is a commercial package called egrabber that used to support USPS - and no longer does.

I'm thinking that this is dead for now - USPS has API's but they are plugging 'partners' and there isn't one for click-n-ship.

My hunch is there never will be one - it takes business away from the 'partners' (wonder who get the kickbacks?) - the old postage meter boondogle.

Realize that usps is a government cartel - they have no interest in entrepreneurs.  As of today it is cheaper to ship a minimal package from China to anywhere in the USA than one can ship the same package from neighboring towns.  Not a level playing field.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation

of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a
temporary prosperity; both bring permanent ruin.
Ernest Hemingway

There is a published API for shipping labels. Anybody who wants to can write a shipping label app that uses that API, just like we have for the Quotes API.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

published API for shipping labels

My understanding is you then have to pay at the post-office - at a higher rate.  I could be wrong, but my understanding is there is no API to take advantage of the click-n-ship rates.

Do you have a link to the docs for this API?

There was also a contribution that let one do a similar thing with UPS-on-line shipping - also no longer works.

The other change in the landscape is dimensional shipping - which there isn't a good way to deal with multiple items ordered at one time.  (I use the t-ship add-on and then decide which carrier later.)

Ernest Hemingway

That's correct, the API only allows you to print a label. You would have to get the postage elsewhere, either at the post office, from a postage meter, or one of the online services. I can understand why they don't want you to just print up your own postage.

The APIs are all on this page.

The algorithm for packing three-dimensional items in a box is technically very difficult. I doubt that you will find a solution for this that is always accurate.

Regards

Jim

See my profile for a list of my addons and ways to get support.

The 10% discount for doing this on-line adds up. I think I figured out a path to a solution.

Firefox has extensions that auto-fills forms - all one needs is a script to produce the appropriate feed for a Firefox extension and create a special extension to  plug the values in.

So the easy part is creating the feed  - but I've never written a firefox extension.

Ernest Hemingway